Don't forget the On-Line talk on tuesday

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
MatDz
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Don't forget the On-Line talk on tuesday

Post by MatDz »

Talk aside, I love that shirt!
Mat
edds
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by edds »

Great talk Ralph, thank you.

The greatest compliment is that my wife, who tolerates my hobbies only, listened to it and was very interested! Well done!
Ed

BCSS member 53038
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS

Post by el48tel »

A most enjoyable and informative presentation by Ralph Martin last evening. It has prompted me to buy some of the books he recommended, to improve my limited botanical knowledge.
I just wish other participants of zoom meetings would realise that their video cameras were switched on, that their audio was there for all to hear, and that the majority of us don't really want to read their often inane comments that they post. I'm lucky that I can park the participants panel and the comments box on another monitor ..... and turn it off ..... but come on guys .... give the speakers and other participants some respect.
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
Acid John
BCSS Member
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT
Role within the BCSS: Branch Chair

Post by Acid John »

el48tel are you not interested in people blowing their noses in close up then :lol: 🤮
Acid John
HaoBao
BCSS Member
Branch: BRADFORD

Post by HaoBao »

Thank you Ralph, it was a great talk and pretty funny, helped tell me the meaning of some notes/names I’ve seen.

I think there should be an announcement before the talk about the cameras, especially as it’s being recorded and put on Facebook with people’s full names sometimes. It’s probably illegal not to tell people.
Plant sales: www.CentralSucculents.etsy.com
Instagram: www.instagram.com/CentralSucculents
Reddit: www.reddit.com/u/CentralSucculents

All my plants are kept indoors and I started collecting in August 2018. Favourites are Pachyphytum, Echeveria, Haworthia, Mesembs and oddball Cacti.
habanerocat
BCSS Member
Branch: EDENBRIDGE

Post by habanerocat »

Acid John wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:21 pm el48tel are you not interested in people blowing their noses in close up then :lol: 🤮
I think I saw worse than that but wasn't sure what I was looking at so I turned it off.
HaoBao
BCSS Member

Post by HaoBao »

Does anyone remember in one of the recent talks, it may have been the one about Brazil, there was a cactus that grew like a globe but when it matured a bit it’s growth became thinner? Kind of like it began etiolating but it’s just how it is.

All my plants are kept indoors and I started collecting in August 2018. Favourites are Pachyphytum, Echeveria, Haworthia, Mesembs and oddball Cacti.
Phil_SK
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Forum Moderator

Post by Phil_SK »

That would have been Stephanocereus luetzelburgii I think.
Phil Crewe, BCSS 38143. Mostly S. American cacti, esp. Lobivia, Sulcorebutia and little Opuntia
HaoBao
BCSS Member

Post by HaoBao »

Thank you Phil 👍

Phil_SK
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Forum Moderator

Post by Phil_SK »

Topic: David Traish - The Beauty of Our Plants
Time: Tuesday 2 March 2021 at 7:30 PM (GMT)
Meeting ID: 882 2818 3224
Passcode: bcss
Join Zoom Meeting https://us02web.zoom.us/j/88228183224?p ... daTGt4dz09

This talk resulted out of my long years as Shows Secretary for the North Surrey Branch. I was disturbed by the general attitude of Branch shows in that they did not attempt to focus on the beauty of our plants but preferred to show the most difficult plants to grow. We missed the opportunity to show our plants at their best, such as when they have attractive flowers, beautiful bodies, wonderfully shaped leaves etc.

I am sure all members of the BCSS accept that our plants are fat, but that does not mean they are not beautiful. You judge!
Phil Crewe, BCSS 38143. Mostly S. American cacti, esp. Lobivia, Sulcorebutia and little Opuntia