ELK Canceled

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Bill
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

ELK Canceled

Post by Bill »

Not unexpected but sad all the same.

Dear friends,

Undoubtedly you have already wondered whether the ELK will be able to continue this year because of the corona epidemic and many have already asked us that question. It is now 4 months before the planned date and the exhibitors and visitors coming from far away would like to know if they should organize the trip or not.

The ELK organising committee has recently analysed all available information. Unfortunately, this analysis led to the decision to cancel the ELK 2020.

The reasons are manifold:

- In Belgium, as in most European countries, all events are cancelled until August 31th. Nobody knows what measures will be in force in September.

- Under the current conditions, it is not responsible to organise an event that will be visited by approximately 2000 people from 25 different countries.

- The nature of the event excludes that a social distance of 1.5 meters can be respected.

- Many visitors are of the age of the highest risk group.

- A new outbreak of the virus cannot be ruled out.

- At the moment it is difficult, if not impossible, to travel internationally. It is not yet known how long the borders will remain closed.

The Committee is of course aware of the disappointment that this decision entails. A disappointment for the exhibitors who have their greenhouses full of beautiful plants and have not yet seen an opportunity to present them to a large public this year. A disappointment also for the visitors who come not only to buy new plants but also for the lectures and the social aspect of the ELK. We realize that you have all been looking forward to the ELK 2020 and seeing your friends again, especially after the cancellations of all the plant fairs earlier this year, but also that you understand that we do not want to take any risks regarding everyone's health.

Those who have already registered will be contacted personally to arrange the refund. They can also already take an option for the ELK 2021.

We look forward to meeting you again next year, from Friday 10 till 12 September 2021. In the meantime, we wish you a beautiful summer, enjoy your plants and stay healthy!

Mainly Haworthia and Gasteria, a few other South African succulents and the odd spiky thing.
RAYWOODBRIDGE
BCSS Member
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: ELK Canceled

Post by RAYWOODBRIDGE »

To make up for no ELK three days of talks are being done via zoom Fri. 11th, Sat. 12th and Sun. 13th of September see details in September e-news or go to PKcactus.info
Ray

BCSS member 50155
DKG member 311605
Echinocereenfreund member 100

Cactus only collection mainly from seed.
Phil_SK
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Forum Moderator

Post by Phil_SK »

Paul's now updated his site with most of the details.
Phil Crewe, BCSS 38143. Mostly S. American cacti, esp. Lobivia, Sulcorebutia and little Opuntia
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by Tina »

Hi
Just doing a quick test before Rikus & EUPHORBIA talk, its asking for my email ?, should this be the numbers & login say tephros
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
Terry S.

Post by Terry S. »

Thanks to Paul and the others for organising the virtual ELK weekend. Not quite the same as the real thing that we have been attending for over 20 years, but Jennifer and I have enjoyed joining the various presentations and seeing some of the faces that we would have seen in the flesh if it had been possible to visit Belgium. Yes we had some Trappist and some Kriek to join into the spirit of the event. Well done!
Diane
BCSS Member

Post by Diane »

I agree with Terry, I watched Wiebe’s talk on Ethiopia last night, and was very impressed!
Diane - member of Kingston branch

Growing cacti - balm to the soul!
jerryb23
BCSS Member
Branch: NORWICH

Post by jerryb23 »

What a great series of talks, and from speakers that we would not normally see in the UK. Well done to Paul for organising.
It was just surprising that the attendances were so low compared to the Tuesday night talks.
Chris L
BCSS Branch Websites Co-ordinator
Branch: MANCHESTER
Role within the BCSS: Branch Websites Co-ordinator

Post by Chris L »

Really enjoyed all the talks - thank you to all the speakers and thank you Paul. :grin: (tu) (tu)
Joined 1991
Lamb's Reference Plate Index http://www.cactus-corner.co.uk/referenc ... -guide.htm
FREE on Kindle Unlimited:
Anglesey Circular Walk https://amzn.to/34i18qF
Lytham-Arnside Walk https://amzn.to/3fpQPGf
My Redbubble Shop https://www.redbubble.com/people/cactuschris/shop