Flowering of Aloiampelos ciliaris

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Colin Walker
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Flowering of Aloiampelos ciliaris

Post by Colin Walker »

The genus Aloiampelos probably won't be that familiar to most readers, but some of its constituent species certainly will be.

Aloiampelos includes seven species of scrambling/rambling aloes. They're the least succulent of all the aloes and are endemic to the southern provinces of South Africa.

Aloiampelos ciliaris is the type species and is endemic to the Eastern Cape Province. It's a sprawling, very untidy plant with weak stems up to 6m long/tall so needs support. The leaves are relatively thin and barely succulent.

One of my plants is shown here growing at the back of our porch where it thrives. The temperature in its cosy home never drops below 10 degrees and it's watered throughout the year. If kept cold and dry in the winter it's unlikely to survive let alone thrive.

The first flowers produced by my plant in Scotland are shown here. I've flowered it before down south in deepest Bedfordshire but that was at the back of the GH and I never took much notice of it.

I thank Topsy (aka Suzanne) for providing me with my current material.

fullsizeoutput_853.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_84f.jpeg

The other plants in the porch in this shot are Cleistocactus chrysocephalus and part of a huge plant of Aloe vera.

Interestingly in contrast Aloiampelos striatula is one of few frost-hardy aloes. My plants are cuttings from Gordon Rowley's plant that survived for many years outdoors in an unheated cold frame in Reading. :eek:
Cheers,
Colin

FBCSS
FCSSA
Fellow of the Linnean Society (FLS)
Member of the IOS
Honorary Research Associate, The Open University
Herts Mike
BCSS Member
Branch: LEA VALLEY

Re: Flowering of Aloiampelos ciliaris

Post by Herts Mike »

My ciliaris which I liberated in Marbella seemed to have much brighter coloured flowers?
Phil_SK
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Forum Moderator

Post by Phil_SK »

A. striatula in a cold frame? That must've been one big cold frame. My plant's not very old and is over a metre tall and wide already. It's just starting to send up flowers but, unfortunately they're usually caked in ants when they open so not very attractive.
striatula.jpg
Phil Crewe, BCSS 38143. Mostly S. American cacti, esp. Lobivia, Sulcorebutia and little Opuntia
Tony R
Branch: CAMBRIDGE

Post by Tony R »

Lovely cleistocactus, Colin, and - oh, the aloiampelos flowers are pretty darn good too! :wink:
Tony Roberts
Treasurer, Haworthia Society
Chairman, Tephrocactus Study Group
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
(Gasteria, Mammillaria, small Opuntia, Cleistocactus and Sempervivum are my current special interests)
Colin Walker

Post by Colin Walker »

Herts Mike wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 3:32 pm My ciliaris which I liberated in Marbella seemed to have much brighter coloured flowers?
Mike, A. ciliaris is very variable and indeed three varieties are currently recognised, based principally on different chromosome counts, but flower size is one of the morphological features that was also used to distinguish between these vars. In THE book on aloes, pp.540 & 541 show three different flower colours.

Biologically A. ciliaris is significant because amongst the aloes in the widest sense with around 550 species, this is one of very few species with chromosome counts of three different numbers with 2n=14, 28 & 42. (The vast majority of aloes - maybe about 95% of them - have 2n=14.)

However, maybe light levels in our porch aren't sufficiently high to bring out the true colour in my flowers. I've got plants of this clone in two other locations (greenhouse & conservatory), so if these flower it'll be interesting to see if the red colour on those is deeper.
Cheers,
Colin

FBCSS
FCSSA
Member of the IOS
Colin Walker

Post by Colin Walker »

Phil_SK wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 4:21 pm A. striatula in a cold frame? That must've been one big cold frame. My plant's not very old and is over a metre tall and wide already. It's just starting to send up flowers but, unfortunately they're usually caked in ants when they open so not very attractive.
Phil, most of Gordon's plants were bonsai not having been repotted for many years, so I'm sure this was true of his A. striatula in the cold frame.

Having said that, all my plants of Aloiampelos are in pots and grow reasonably quickly, but I don't have the space to let them reach the size of yours. :shock:

By the way A. striatula is also quite variable but here only a single additional var. has been named: A. striatula var. caesia which has yellow flowers as opposed to the typical orange-red of var. striatula.

Phil, please let us know what colour your flowers are.
Cheers,
Colin

FBCSS
FCSSA
Member of the IOS
Terry S.

Post by Terry S. »

Here is Aloe (Aloiampelos) striatula flowering in the dry garden at Hyde Hall in Essex. Coming from the Drakensberg, it is possibly the aloe best suited to outdoor cultivation in the UK.

Aloe striatula.jpg
Colin Walker

Post by Colin Walker »

Tony R wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 4:42 pm Lovely cleistocactus, Colin, and - oh, the aloiampelos flowers are pretty darn good too! :wink:
A bit off topic here Tony, but do you know how big Cleistocactus chrysocephalus needs to be before flowering? My single specimen of this species is around 70cm tall and is growing reasonably fast right now. :grin:
Cheers,
Colin

FBCSS
FCSSA
Member of the IOS
Colin Walker

Post by Colin Walker »

Terry S. wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 9:41 am Here is Aloe (Aloiampelos) striatula flowering in the dry garden at Hyde Hall in Essex. Coming from the Drakensberg, it is possibly the aloe best suited to outdoor cultivation in the UK.
Terry, I'd say that is var. caesia. Not just from the yellow flowers but the leaves also match in being more open and spreading.
Cheers,
Colin

FBCSS
FCSSA
Member of the IOS
topsy
BCSS Trustee
Branch: BRISTOL
Role within the BCSS: Life Members

Post by topsy »

Hi Colin,

Your A.ciliaris came to us from Douglas Huth who grew it in free root run with minimal heating.

The Cleistocactus needs to br around 1m to flower according to Tony.

Best wishes, Suzanne