Various Cacti and Succulent ID's  Solved

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Licespray
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Re: Various Cacti and Succulent ID's

Post by Licespray »

You’d be surprised. Just remove them from the pot and gently pull them apart. They should seperate reasonably easily. I’m not an expert in this field but it’s all I’ve done for reporting. Feel free to lay them on their side gently too.
Redjimp
BCSS Member

Post by Redjimp »

Maybe check out some of Lynn's videos on YouTube .Search for Desert plants of Avalon , she has alot of content and much of them are to do with repotting
edds
BCSS Member
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by edds »

Un-pot it, get in there with your fingers and loosen as much of the compost as possible from the roots and tease apart the plants. Don't use too much force as you'll break the roots. If they won't separate then tease more roots and compost out and try again.

When repotting after all that disturbance, I tend to repot in dry compost and not water for a day or two to let the roots stay a bit dry to allow damaged roots to callus over.
Ed

BCSS member 53038
PatrickBateman
Registered Guest

Post by PatrickBateman »

Thanks all. Not too late to do this year still?
RAYWOODBRIDGE
BCSS Member

Post by RAYWOODBRIDGE »

I don't think No. 4 is Vatricania guentheri, I agree with ESP and think it is Weberbauerocereus johnsonii a species grown by the thousands by the Dutch wholesale trade, but either way it is still three plants in one pot.
Ray

BCSS member 50155
DKG member 311605
Echinocereenfreund member 100

Cactus only collection mainly from seed.
juster
BCSS Member
Branch: CROYDON
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

Post by juster »

PatrickBateman wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 4:44 pm Thanks all. Not too late to do this year still?
Still plenty of time to split your plants Patrick, I'm sure they'll be fine.
Croydon Branch member, growing mainly cacti and Echeverias
PatrickBateman
Registered Guest

Post by PatrickBateman »

esp wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 12:31 pm 1. No strong idea. Parodia?
2. Opuntia monacantha monstrosa
3. Gasteraloe hybrid
4. Could be Weberbauerocereus johnsonii
5. Cristate cactus - maybe Opuntia?
6. Aloe aristata
7. Kalanchoe, maybe K. longiflora
This has twigged something with me...I got 3 of the smaller ones here as a gift and this had a notocactus sticker on it.

Originally thought that was a website they were ordered from only to find out later it was the type.

If we are to assume it's specifically a notocactus would that give a better idea of what it likely is?
PatrickBateman
Registered Guest

Post by PatrickBateman »

edds wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 3:15 pm Un-pot it, get in there with your fingers and loosen as much of the compost as possible from the roots and tease apart the plants. Don't use too much force as you'll break the roots. If they won't separate then tease more roots and compost out and try again.

When repotting after all that disturbance, I tend to repot in dry compost and not water for a day or two to let the roots stay a bit dry to allow damaged roots to callus over.
Hoping I've not made an arse of this, took a fair effort to split, compost was pretty well stuck in the pot shape-

Needless to say they aren't the most stable in their new pots. Is the best course of action to leave them for a few days before watering and try and minimise any disturbance with them moving until new roots take hold?
edds
BCSS Member

Post by edds »

I'd leave them for a few days to allow broken roots to callus and then start watering by watering from below so you don't disturb the soil.
Ed

BCSS member 53038
sandyvaughan
Registered Guest
Role within the BCSS: Non-Member

Post by sandyvaughan »

I love the pots. Were they also from B&Q?