new faces

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Astro
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

new faces

Post by Astro »

Spring means a batch of fresh Lithops faces!

Last year I managed to roast a good number of my lithops in the sun (and subsequently drown them in a rainstorm), which left a number severely scarred and scabbed over. I figured I'd leave them be and they'd be as good as new after the next winter.

I noticed something quite interesting in some of the new leaves on the burnt plants. Some (naturally more windowed?) species seem to have reverted to almost completely open windows, while the others are more or less the same as before the scarring. Maybe the scars prevented them from getting much light, so they produced more open windows on the new leaf pair to maximize light input? I guess it could make sense for there to be some feedback loop between window size and irradiance (the scarring happened in Spring so the new leaves were in the dark during their whole development).

The open leaves look quite fetching, especially on these bromfieldii (both were burnt). Too bad they'll probably revert to their normal more opaque selves next year. Maybe some inspiration for how to create sale plants for ebay :P
L. bromfieldii v glaudinae C393
L. bromfieldii v glaudinae C393
The top plant was burnt, the one at the bottom was spared.
L. aucampiae ssp euniceae
L. aucampiae ssp euniceae
Among other burn victims that survived but didn't change leaf patterns were viridis (windows are already wide open), julii 'reticulata' (pretty much closed windows), werneri (hard to tell if anything changed) and otzeniana (a bit more open than before, but not spectacularly so).

An experiment may be due on a couple of spare seedlings... Some paint may do the trick.