Lithops query

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Eric Williams
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: SOUTH WALES

Lithops query

Post by Eric Williams »

Hi all, when I started growing these plants I was unaware of the fact that old dried up leaves should be removed. I have many old plants now that have an old woody stem in the centre. Would it be benificial to the plant if I removed the heads and re root them ? If so is this right time to do it. Thanks
Astro
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Re: Lithops query

Post by Astro »

Why should old leaves be removed? In my experience they help protect the current leaf pair (especially if the bodies are mostly buried) so I try not to disturb the remains. I can’t comment on what happens after 20 years of accumulated leaves however...
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by iann »

You don't have to remove the old leaves, but they can get a bit messy after a while. Good place for pests to hide too. I try to remove them, but often they lurk below the surface and I don't get them until I repot. Not sure they really cause long woody stems, that's more down to your growing conditions and age (mostly growing conditions, Lithops don't naturally grow very tall even after decades). If you're going to remove them, don't be in a rush because they come off easiest when they're thoroughly crispy right down to the bottom. And don't pull too hard, a gentle tearing action from one side of the crispy leaf is less likely to pull off the whole head.
Cheshire, UK
Eric Williams
BCSS Member
Branch: SOUTH WALES

Post by Eric Williams »

You are right Ian. It's probably down to age. Some of my plants are over thirty year old, and not looking their best. I think I will remove a few heads and try to root them. I assume this time of the year will be ok ? Thank you
MaciejW
BCSS Member
Branch: HERNE BAY

Post by MaciejW »

Hi Eric,
It's perfect time to do it!
Good luck.
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by iann »

MaciejW wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 2:32 pm Hi Eric,
It's perfect time to do it!
Good luck.
I think yesterday was the perfect time to do it :mrgreen: But I probably wouldn't have done it at all. I'm terrible for leaving mesembs that should be beheaded or split. Luckily for me Lithops can go a long long time, but some others can get very leggy very quickly.
Cheshire, UK