Rebutia flavistyla problem

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
habanerocat
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: EDENBRIDGE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Rebutia flavistyla problem

Post by habanerocat »

Ali Baba wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:10 am
el48tel wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:38 am Do Rebutia flavistyla like a high calcium and alkaline environment?
No
Is calcium basically the same as limestone as far as cacti are concerned?
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS

Post by el48tel »

Ali Baba wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:10 am
el48tel wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:38 am Do Rebutia flavistyla like a high calcium and alkaline environment?
No
Therefore not a good idea to use raw bone meal.
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
SimonT
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Post by SimonT »

I've recently tried a few different conditions for growing R. flavistyla. In the end I liked best using pure John Innes seed compost for seeds and very young plants, similar to the method Paul D described recently on this forum. Bigger plants seem OK in a simple compost of 2/3 John Innes no2, 1/3 extra drainage (I use an even mixture of perlite, grit and/or Tesco's low dust cat litter).
ralphrmartin
BCSS Research Committee Chairman
Role within the BCSS: Chairman - Research

Post by ralphrmartin »

You'll do best with your Rebutias and many other South American cacti if you grow them in ericaceous compost, as there is not much limestone in the Andes. I use a mix
JI Ericaceous compost / Coir / Granite grit
in equal parts. I also feed withe Ericaceous miracle grow.
Ralph Martin
https://www.rrm.me.uk/Cacti/cacti.html
Members visiting the Llyn Peninsula are welcome to visit my collection.

Swaps and sales at https://www.rrm.me.uk/Cacti/forsale.php

My Field Number Database is at https://www.fieldnos.bcss.org.uk
SimonT
Registered Guest

Post by SimonT »

I guess there is a difference between compost that is sufficient to support the growth of these plants and compost that might be closer to providing the optimal growth conditions. But still, I'll certainly try this mix against what I normally use.
habanerocat
BCSS Member
Branch: EDENBRIDGE

Post by habanerocat »

Said I'd just add to this thread as my problems continue on most of my Rebutias. Common signs are the browning and the missing ring of spines. But the latest manifestation is this weird growth on some heads, new or old.

I've re-potted most of them this spring but it's like something has gotten into the plants, like a poison.
IMG_2677A.jpg
IMG_2676A.jpg
SimonT
Registered Guest

Post by SimonT »

It is hard to tell from the photos but the problems that you had previously might be growing out? Mites for example can cause damage near the shoot growth tips. After the infection you get a ring of damage that slowly moves down the plant. If there is a lot of damage the growth tip does not continue to grow but instead you can get an offsets replacing it. This might be happening for you here?