Rebutia flavistyla problem

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
habanerocat
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: EDENBRIDGE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Rebutia flavistyla problem

Post by habanerocat »

These plants have been grown from seed in 2017 and were going well. Despite not being fertilized they have flowered and have shown lush growth since being re-potted this spring.

Recently though I'm noticing damage around the recessed growing point. Bad on some, getting worse on others. Red spider mite is of course suspected. However I had an outbreak last summer and it didn't look like this. Any ideas what it is and how to treat it?
IMG_2046.JPG
IMG_2047.JPG
IMG_2048.JPG
IMG_2049.JPG
IMG_2050.JPG
Ross M
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Re: Rebutia flavistyla problem

Post by Ross M »

What time of day do you water your plants? If they were watered in the morning it could be scorch as a result of water remaining in the growing point and being magnified by the sun
Ross

Dunbar, SE Scotland.
BCSS member #46264 (originally joined 1983).
Growing cacti since 1978, with a particular interest in Sulcorebutia and Rebutia.

habanerocat
BCSS Member

Post by habanerocat »

Ross M wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 1:56 pm What time of day do you water your plants? If they were watered in the morning it could be scorch as a result of water remaining in the growing point and being magnified by the sun
I always water in the evenings, but they do get a good splash in fairness.
Conrad
BCSS Member

Post by Conrad »

100%red spider mite - I have about 30 plants that were affected this way (but worse) by a RSM infestation last year.

They've all gone blind and have started growing from offsets instead.
Ali Baba
BCSS Member
Branch: DOVER

Post by Ali Baba »

If it is mites you should be able to see them through a magnifying glass. Could also be thrips
habanerocat
BCSS Member

Post by habanerocat »

I've treated all the above with Diatomaceous Earth. So we'll see how it goes.

I used a home made shaker with holes punched with a nail. The stuff I got is recommended for mites and is not food grade. It seems a bit clumpy to be honest. It's the first time I've used it.

I noticed a few days ago that a spider had crawled into the shaker and seemed to be living happily inside. He's been in there now four days. Should he not be dead by now?*
IMG_2061.JPG
* I've since given him his freedom.
ralphrmartin
BCSS Research Committee Chairman
Role within the BCSS: Chairman - Research

Post by ralphrmartin »

I tried to use this kind of product to get rid of sciara fly, with no obvious effect.
Ralph Martin
https://www.rrm.me.uk/Cacti/cacti.html
Members visiting the Llyn Peninsula are welcome to visit my collection.

Swaps and sales at https://www.rrm.me.uk/Cacti/forsale.php

My Field Number Database is at https://www.fieldnos.bcss.org.uk
habanerocat
BCSS Member

Post by habanerocat »

Ok so, this is how they look now. I sprayed with SB Invigorator, left a good puff of diatomaceous earth on the crown for two or more weeks, and Monday last I watered and then sprayed with neem oil solution afterwards.
IMG_2084.JPG
I watered Monday as the forecast was for rain for the next few days. I normally do the exact opposite but read that a humid atmosphere deters the RSM. So since Monday it has been a very humid in the greenhouse, windows and door are closed. So how long dare I leave it like this as no sun due until Thursday afternoon? Very overcast and persistent rain here now.
AndrewB
BCSS Member
Branch: GLOUCESTER

Post by AndrewB »

A good systemic insecticide with RSM as a target, followed by a contact insecticide a week or two later. Then a good dose of RSM predators several weeks later is how I deal with these annoying pests.
Andrew

Interested in most genera of small to medium ‘globular’ cacti, large flowering Mammillaria, Epiphyllum, Trichocereus, Hildewintera, Cleistocactus etc, small Agaves, Lithops, Titanopsis, Faucaria etc, plus hybridising.
edds
BCSS Member

Post by edds »

AndrewB wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:45 pm A good systemic insecticide with RSM as a target, followed by a contact insecticide a week or two later. Then a good dose of RSM predators several weeks later is how I deal with these annoying pests.
What systemic insecticide do you use for RSM Andrew?
Ed

BCSS member 53038