can SB Plant Invigorator be used as a soak?...

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
juster
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: DARTFORD
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

Re: can SB Plant Invigorator be used as a soak?...

Post by juster »

Sorry to say that binning the lot and restarting might not work either, turn your back and a few mealies will creep in from somewhere :mad: thy really are persistent :cry:
Croydon Branch member, growing mainly cacti and Echeverias
JonNo
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by JonNo »

juster wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:25 pm Sorry to say that binning the lot and restarting might not work either, turn your back and a few mealies will creep in from somewhere :mad: thy really are persistent :cry:
I've even started dreaming about the little blighters now..!
Terry S.

Post by Terry S. »

Googling Bug Clear Ultra, it is stated that it contains the neonicotinoid acetampirid. I douse all my pots once a year with a different neonicotinoid and I get high protection from attack by root mealy bug. For me, stem mealy bug is a much bigger problem. If you have it hiding under a top dressing then just stop using top dressing. I also suggest avoiding packing square pots closely together because they then live in the narrow spaces between the pots and are out of reach of sprays. But total control is almost impossible these days.

A silly question - have mealy bugs got smaller (different species?) or breed at an early age? I say this because although I can find small bugs on some plants, I do not find the nice large juicy ones of old. Or is it my specs?
JonNo
BCSS Member

Post by JonNo »

Terry S. wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:15 am Googling Bug Clear Ultra, it is stated that it contains the neonicotinoid acetampirid. I douse all my pots once a year with a different neonicotinoid and I get high protection from attack by root mealy bug. For me, stem mealy bug is a much bigger problem. If you have it hiding under a top dressing then just stop using top dressing. I also suggest avoiding packing square pots closely together because they then live in the narrow spaces between the pots and are out of reach of sprays. But total control is almost impossible these days.

A silly question - have mealy bugs got smaller (different species?) or breed at an early age? I say this because although I can find small bugs on some plants, I do not find the nice large juicy ones of old. Or is it my specs?
Hi Terry.

The original Bug Clear Ultra, still available to buy, does indeed contain acetamiprid - as mentioned in an earlier thread the newer Provanto Ultimate Bug Killer no longer does. I'll continue using the original version though of course am limited to the four times a year instruction.

I think my Mealys are the stem rather than root variety, certainly looking at the root balls of the plants I've re-potted so far there is little evidence of them below the surface. When I do find them they seem to be either on the plants, just under the edges of the plants or strolling around the rims of the pots... All of my pots are circular terracotta clay and I try to make sure none of them touch as just another small effort to make things more difficult for the crawlers. When I spray I pick up each pot individually to do it.

Size wise, mine seem to vary from the barely perceptible (these are capable of moving much faster than the bigger ones and are thus more of a challenge to spear with my needle!) through to the size of a small camper van, which make an audible "pop" when you crush them. The vast majority are in between the two extremes, maybe the size of a traditional pin head. Presumably the variety is to do with them being at different stages in their life cycle?

For what its worth, I've found while re-potting that an oral irrigator is a very useful tool for cleaning roots and the underside of plants!
Cactusgirl
BCSS Member
Branch: CORNWALL
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Cactusgirl »

I sprinkle diatomaceous earth in the trays on the staging (and in compost when repotting)then I place my plants a little away from each other (socially distanced!) too. Touch wood I have been very lucky not to have root mealies. I did repot everything this year so have checked. I also give all plants a dousing in Bug Ultra yearly and I spray weekly with SB Invigorator. If I do see a mealy on a plant I then dab it off with a cocktail stick dipped in that purple colour paintbrush cleaner solution (mineralised something or other!). Yes a lot of work but, having sought advice on this forum, I feel that these measures keep pests at bay. I won't say eradicate totally, as that will not happen.
juster
BCSS Member
Branch: DARTFORD
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

Post by juster »

That's a very thorough regime Cactusgirl, I'm impressed :smile:
Croydon Branch member, growing mainly cacti and Echeverias
Cactusgirl
BCSS Member

Post by Cactusgirl »

Thankyou Juster. I have learnt a lot from experienced growers in the BCSS and so my thanks to everyone who has helped me in my four years of cacti and succulent ownership. 🤗
JonNo
BCSS Member

Post by JonNo »

Cactusgirl wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:11 pm I sprinkle diatomaceous earth in the trays on the staging (and in compost when repotting)then I place my plants a little away from each other (socially distanced!) too. Touch wood I have been very lucky not to have root mealies. I did repot everything this year so have checked. I also give all plants a dousing in Bug Ultra yearly and I spray weekly with SB Invigorator. If I do see a mealy on a plant I then dab it off with a cocktail stick dipped in that purple colour paintbrush cleaner solution (mineralised something or other!). Yes a lot of work but, having sought advice on this forum, I feel that these measures keep pests at bay. I won't say eradicate totally, as that will not happen.
Your regime sounds similar to my own, though rather than using a cocktail stick dipped in something I'm afraid I just run them through with a needle! Diatomaceous earth is something new to me though, I must do some more research... Thanks for the tip!
Cactusgirl
BCSS Member

Post by Cactusgirl »

You are very welcome! The product I use is called 'food grade' as I give it to my horse too as a natural wormer (I've noticed over the years the normal chemical worm preparations raise her liver enzymes). Of course there are other brands and grades available!
Attachments
20200709_123616.jpg
JonNo
BCSS Member

Post by JonNo »

Cactusgirl wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:49 pm You are very welcome! The product I use is called 'food grade' as I give it to my horse too as a natural wormer (I've noticed over the years the normal chemical worm preparations raise her liver enzymes). Of course there are other brands and grades available!
Well I've learned something! Thank you.