can SB Plant Invigorator be used as a soak?...

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
JonNo
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

can SB Plant Invigorator be used as a soak?...

Post by JonNo »

Quick question if I may please.

I know SB Plant Invigorator is intended to be used as a spray, but can it also be used as a soak, i.e. poured in liquid form onto the compost?

I have an idea that some Mealys are using the top dressing on my pots to "hide" and also getting themselves just under the "edge" of plants, thus avoiding spray application...

Any ideas/ opinions please?
juster
BCSS Member
Branch: CROYDON
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

Re: can SB Plant Invigorator be used as a soak?...

Post by juster »

As you say, it's generally for use as a spray, but I can see that it might work as a soak in the situation you describe. I think I would just try more intensive and targeted spraying at the bottom of the plant.
Croydon Branch member, growing mainly cacti and Echeverias
JonNo
BCSS Member

Post by JonNo »

juster wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 5:30 pm As you say, it's generally for use as a spray, but I can see that it might work as a soak in the situation you describe. I think I would just try more intensive and targeted spraying at the bottom of the plant.
I've been trying as you suggest but so far apparently failing..! I realise using it as a soak may not work but I just thought I might give it a go - but then wondered if there might be any possible adverse effects?
Chris L
BCSS Branch Websites Co-ordinator
Branch: MANCHESTER
Role within the BCSS: Branch Websites Co-ordinator

Post by Chris L »

JonNo wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:17 pm
juster wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 5:30 pm As you say, it's generally for use as a spray, but I can see that it might work as a soak in the situation you describe. I think I would just try more intensive and targeted spraying at the bottom of the plant.
I've been trying as you suggest but so far apparently failing..! I realise using it as a soak may not work but I just thought I might give it a go - but then wondered if there might be any possible adverse effects?
I've sent a PM. You'll understand the problem better after seeing it I think. :grin:

If you've only a few plants maybe take the gravel off and soak it in meths and give the plants a squirt with SB.
Joined 1991
Lamb's Reference Plate Index http://www.cactus-corner.co.uk/referenc ... -guide.htm
FREE on Kindle Unlimited:
Anglesey Circular Walk https://amzn.to/34i18qF
Lytham-Arnside Walk https://amzn.to/3fpQPGf
My Redbubble Shop https://www.redbubble.com/people/cactuschris/shop
Terry S.

Post by Terry S. »

I once came home with some ISI epiphytic cactus cuttings that were full of mealy, that I thought should be rescued from a deceased friend's collection. I soaked them for about two days in SB solution at standard dilution and ended up killing some and damaging others. So beware long-term exposure to SB solution.
JonNo
BCSS Member

Post by JonNo »

Terry S. wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:40 am I once came home with some ISI epiphytic cactus cuttings that were full of mealy, that I thought should be rescued from a deceased friend's collection. I soaked them for about two days in SB solution at standard dilution and ended up killing some and damaging others. So beware long-term exposure to SB solution.
Thank you Terry. That's the kind of experience I need to know about...
JonNo
BCSS Member

Post by JonNo »

Chris L wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:53 pm
JonNo wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:17 pm
I've sent a PM. You'll understand the problem better after seeing it I think. :grin:

If you've only a few plants maybe take the gravel off and soak it in meths and give the plants a squirt with SB.
Many thanks Chris, I appreciate the time and effort you've taken! I'll PM back...
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by iann »

Its basically a very light oil. Light enough that it generally won't damage green foliage but will still smother any pests. There is no systemic action, through the roots or any other way, and I wouldn't want to soak the rootball in enough oil to make any difference to the pests. You might try going bare root and then spraying the roots. Otherwise, soaking in soapy water will knock down most of the pests, but probably not eradicate them. You can repeat. A systemic insecticide is your best bet against root mealies if you don't want to wash all the roots. Unfortunately, there's only one still left for sale in the UK so if your mealies are resistant to that one then you're out of luck.
Cheshire, UK
MatDz
BCSS Member
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by MatDz »

iann wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:07 pm [...] A systemic insecticide is your best bet against root mealies if you don't want to wash all the roots. Unfortunately, there's only one still left for sale in the UK so if your mealies are resistant to that one then you're out of luck.
Is that the (now replaced by #2?) Bug Clear Ultra?
Mat
JonNo
BCSS Member

Post by JonNo »

iann wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:07 pm Its basically a very light oil. Light enough that it generally won't damage green foliage but will still smother any pests. There is no systemic action, through the roots or any other way, and I wouldn't want to soak the rootball in enough oil to make any difference to the pests. You might try going bare root and then spraying the roots. Otherwise, soaking in soapy water will knock down most of the pests, but probably not eradicate them. You can repeat. A systemic insecticide is your best bet against root mealies if you don't want to wash all the roots. Unfortunately, there's only one still left for sale in the UK so if your mealies are resistant to that one then you're out of luck.
Thanks iann, all noted. General concensus seems to be not to use it as a soak, so I'll abandon that idea. I have in fact started removing plants from pots, soaking root ball in warm soapy water and removing most compost, rinsing and then leaving to dry, then spraying all over including roots with SB, then re-potting in a fresh pot with new compost... Trouble is I can only do it one at a time and, as I have very little room to put things, chances are pots I've done are being re-infected while my back is turned! I'm already using Bug Clear Ultra too so next thing to consider is meths - or just putting the lot in the bin and starting over!

Thanks for the help.