Lithops and the Baggie Method

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
IanW
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: LEEDS
Role within the BCSS: Member

Lithops and the Baggie Method

Post by IanW »

Can someone remind me, when growing Lithops with the baggie method do you normally ease them out of the humidity of growing in a bag before they grow their first set of main leaves or after?
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Re: Lithops and the Baggie Method

Post by iann »

Before. They won't switch the the first true leaves for at least 3 months, and you probably don't want to leave them in bags for that long. Get them out in the sun, or at least some sun if we ever get any.
Cheshire, UK
IanW
Registered Guest
Branch: LEEDS

Post by IanW »

Cheers iann, I've actually got them under artificial light and they've been in about 6 weeks but are getting a decent size already so I guess they're probably not too far off coming out then.
IMG_20200710_165100.jpg
This is where they're at right now.
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Post by iann »

I'd get them out and start on a little sunlight. They're not those pesky cactus seedlings that can't take a single sunbeam without frying. You can start them from day one in full direct sun, but after the start they've had, maybe transition slowly.
Cheshire, UK