A startling Lithops

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
iann
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: A startling Lithops

Post by iann »

'Aquamarine' is variable from seed and can brown out dramatically in the sun, but if it isn't green as a seedling then it's unlikely to be green as an adult. If some are greener than others, then those may come good and the others are just regular colours. Some "failed" 'Aquamarine' plants can be a bit odd, I've got a couple with very cloudy windows which isn't what you'd expect from L. otzeniana.

'Aquamarine' at different times:
aquamarine1.jpg
aquamarine2.jpg
aquamarine2.jpg (48.42 KiB) Viewed 1082 times
aquamarine3.jpg
aquamarine3.jpg (38.54 KiB) Viewed 1082 times
Cheshire, UK
FredG
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Post by FredG »

Shouldn't Aquamarine be blue? That's what the name says.
Fred
Quot Homines Tot Sententiae
https://fredg.boards.net/
iann
BCSS Member

Post by iann »

FredG wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:31 pm Shouldn't Aquamarine be blue? That's what the name says.
Aquamarine is green :) However, it is a slightly aqua green compared to other green Lithops, hence the name. More obvious at some times than at others. It is really quite nice, worth seeing in the flesh. Unless you're colour blind of course, in which case it is just another brown Lithops :mrgreen:
Cheshire, UK
edds
BCSS Member

Post by edds »

FredG wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:47 am If you catch a Red Mullet, we're in trouble :wink:

Lol! Just three rainbow trout - so many colours I don't have to worry about being colour blind!
Ed

BCSS member 53038
edds
BCSS Member

Post by edds »

Here are mine,
IMG_20200730_190357.jpg
Still a long way to go for these!
Ed

BCSS member 53038
iann
BCSS Member

Post by iann »

Unless they've been grown in a cupboard, I'd say some of those will make good 'Aquamarine' plants. Two on the left maybe not. Odd pattern on that one at the bottom. Can't read too much into the first set of leaves, but you can generally tell what the colour is. At least if they are in the sun :cool:
Cheshire, UK
FredG
Registered Guest

Post by FredG »

Sorry Ian but I'd say the two on the left are the ones.

Keith Green has this against the cultivar

Fred
Quot Homines Tot Sententiae
https://fredg.boards.net/
edds
BCSS Member

Post by edds »

They're on a windowsill with a growlight so getting a good amount of light (my optica 'Rubra' next door are a nice dark colour anyway!) so hopefully we're looking ok for a few at least!

In Hammer's book, he says that the original plant was a vivid turquoise but it's descendents are 'kermit-green'! I'd say most of mine are definitely veering towards Muppetry!
Ed

BCSS member 53038
Astro
Registered Guest

Post by Astro »

'Aquamarine' definitely develops a tan in strong light. It can be a challenge to tell if a particular specimen is an 'Aquamarine' or just grown in less bright light. They're pretty easy to tell apart when contrasted with regular otzenianas grown in the same conditions.

I've found both water and light intensity contribute to the hue of the tan, with more generous water producing a lighter color.

Here are some regular seedlings, although there's one on the second row in the middle that may be more Aquamarine-ish (bit harder to see in the photo). These used to be quite a lot browner when I watered them more sparingly.
otzeniana ex C350
otzeniana ex C350
Different collection number, with a more apparent greenie. I suspect (and I think iann brought it up before) the large number of green acfs in seed-raised plants is due to sellers using acf reverts as stock plants for the regular variety, in this case 'Aquamarine' reverts as stock plants for non-acf otzeniana.
otzeniana ex C280
otzeniana ex C280
These are labeled 'Aquamarine'. The scallops are a bit less toasted and more yellowish. Not all that convincing, really, but it does look distinct in reality.
otzeniana 'Aquamarine'
otzeniana 'Aquamarine'
Astro
Registered Guest

Post by Astro »

FredG wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:14 pm Sorry Ian but I'd say the two on the left are the ones.

Keith Green has this against the cultivar
I'm pretty sure the only way I can get mine to be that color is to grow them in a shaded corner. Or maybe what I have as 'Aquamarine' is much diluted?