Sowing Massonia seeds.

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
NaZzAtAzEr
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: NORTH SURREY
Role within the BCSS: Member

Sowing Massonia seeds.

Post by NaZzAtAzEr »

Hi,

I just got some seeds from massonia.com, and bert helpfully has advised on how to grow them. He uses sieved pumice + perlite. (50/50). Pumice is really difficult to get in this country!

I currently have on hand:
  • perlite
  • sanicat pink
  • john innes no1 and no2
  • silver sand
  • grit sand
I really want to ensure these seeds germinate! Thanks guys
Aiko
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Re: Sowing Massonia seeds.

Post by Aiko »

How easy is it for you to get your hands on loam?
That is what I use. My main mixture for a lot of plants is 50% loam and 50% rough pebbles / grit.
I know Bert uses a more "open" and airy mixture than I do (I have visited his collection a few times, he lives not far from me).

In both mixture the plants grow well and flower every autumn.
I don't think Massonias are very picky regarding soil. But if you sow Massonias from seeds, be aware the seeds can be erratic. If they don't germinate, keep the seeds and retry them again in spring. If they don't germinate then after a few weeks, again allow the pots to dry out and wait for autumn again. And repeat this a few cycles. You might be surprised after a few retries (although disappointment is a bit more likely when you are in this situation).

If silver sand is what I think it is, don't use it. It is too fine. You want the rough stuff.
NaZzAtAzEr
Registered Guest

Post by NaZzAtAzEr »

Thanks for your reply! I just need to work out how loam is sold in the uk... I might just do the mix that the bcss handout suggests
FredG
Registered Guest

Post by FredG »

John Innes 1,2 and 3 are loam based. Loam+peat+sand/grit+fertiliser

If you want straight loam then it's just top soil. Sterilised if you don't want to grow weeds.
Fred
Quot Homines Tot Sententiae
https://fredg.boards.net/
Astro
Registered Guest

Post by Astro »

I use something very close to my standard lithops mix, i.e. 40% moler clay (aka cat litter), 40% loam and 20% store-bought 'cactus mix' (which is anything but, but that's a discussion for another day). I use the same mix to grow all of my SA hyacinthoids (Massonia, Daubenya, Lachenalia).

As Aiko mentioned, germination can be erratic sometimes. Make sure to use a large enough pot so you don't have to repot for two seasons.
Terry S.

Post by Terry S. »

My SA bulbs and bulb seeds all go into my standard mix of 1:1 John Innes no. 2 or 3 and coarse grit.
Aiko
BCSS Member

Post by Aiko »

Astro wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:54 am Make sure to use a large enough pot so you don't have to repot for two seasons.
My experience they will stay rather small for the first few seasons. I guess you have better winter light to allow them to grow much faster. It takes about five years for the plants to produce the horizontal leaves (and therefor needing wide pots). Until that time, the leaves are small and stay upright. Then they are perfectly fine in small pots of 4 centimeters as I use for all(most all of) my seedlings.
NaZzAtAzEr
Registered Guest

Post by NaZzAtAzEr »

Thanks guys, I've sowed my seeds and fingers crossed they'll do well!
NaZzAtAzEr
Registered Guest

Post by NaZzAtAzEr »

I got home from uni today and to my delight, some massonias have germinated! (I'm pretty sure they're massonias, two very small green leaves :D

I'm so glad I don't have to wait til next year, but now I just need to keep them alive!
ralphrmartin
BCSS Research Committee Chairman
Role within the BCSS: Chairman - Research

Post by ralphrmartin »

Well done! Which species came up?
Ralph Martin
https://www.rrm.me.uk/Cacti/cacti.html
Members visiting the Llyn Peninsula are welcome to visit my collection.

Swaps and sales at https://www.rrm.me.uk/Cacti/forsale.php

My Field Number Database is at https://www.fieldnos.bcss.org.uk