Alternatives to baggie tek for seed sowing

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Stoogle
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Alternatives to baggie tek for seed sowing

Post by Stoogle »

Hello all,

Hope everyone is OK, I have started to experiment with alternatives to the baggie tek for seed raising lophophora. I am finding that seeds cope quite well in seed trays and have been exposing them to the elements from about 3months, allowing them to dry and have chance to build their defenses against pathogens. These plants seem to grow slower but seem more tolerant of heat, sun and drying out. I'm curious whether these seedingss that are hard grown from a young age develop into hardier plants if done correctly?

Interested in other peoples opinions and experiences relating to this please? Also, what is the youngest that seedlings can be over wintered in the greenhouse please?

Many thanks,

Stuart
MatDz
BCSS Member
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Alternatives to baggie tek for seed sowing

Post by MatDz »

Stoogle wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:57 am Hello all,

[...] These plants seem to grow slower but seem more tolerant of heat, sun and drying out. I'm curious whether these seedlings that are hard grown from a young age develop into hardier plants if done correctly?
[...]
Hi!

A disclaimer first: I am only playing a devil's advocate here, my seed sowing experience is negligible, have some cacti still in bags and some Mesembs out of them, but that's it.

As A/B testing is part of my profession, I am wondering what's your control group in the above observation. Wouldn't it be that the seedlings kept longer in bags become as tolerant after a proper transition period (maybe a few months of gradually increased sun exposure and decreased watering)?
Mat
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS

Post by el48tel »

My two cents-worth ...... I'm trying the baggie and kitchen paper method for a few seeds .... and comparing (not scientifically) with compost ..... I have a hunch (and that's all it is) that plants will do well in both methods (if they tolerate that method) ..... the problem seems to be when you change the environment ... that is, when you open the baggie or put the seed tray with the "adult" plants .... it's the transition, not matter how well you choreograph it, which does the damage.
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
Terry S.

Post by Terry S. »

We never used to use plastic bags, just something, eg. a sheet of glass or a small propagator, to maintain moisture until seeds started to germinate. Unless one is away for significant periods of time, e.g. that old system where we used to commute to work, then bags for me are an unnecessary complication. As with in vitro propagation of orchids and other plants, the difficult exercise is acclimatising the plants to a more xeric environment. Once done, I don't think that it matters how the original propagation was performed, you will end up with adult plants that suit your conditions.

And I don't think it matters what size the babies are when overwintered in a greenhouse. If in a warmer environment then a little careful watering will be needed.
KarlR
BCSS Member

Post by KarlR »

I agree with Terry that bags can be an unnecessary complication unless you're dealing with Aztekium etc. or if you cannot check on your seedlings regularly.

If you are sowing dozens of species, it's a hassle with bags. On the other hand, if you're only sowing a handful of species and you don't want to use a propagator or similar, or you don't have space for one, then plastic bags can be very useful.

Being very careful to keep everything as clean and sterile as possible is very important, particularly if you are going to leave pots in bags for months.

I have used bags plenty of times and there are advantages and disadvantages. Best to just try out a couple of methods and see what fits best for you.
jerryb23
BCSS Member
Branch: NORWICH

Post by jerryb23 »

I have never used the baggy method as it seems too fiddly. My main method is to re-use pasta sauce pots obtainable at all supermarkets (see pics) - they are microwaveable so you can sterilise the compost before sowing the seeds and they make instant mini propagators. Once the seedlings begin to show spination the lids can be released slightly to regulate moisture and air circulation or removed altogether.

I don't use any artificial heat. Instead the pots are just placed in my conservatory or greenhouse to experience the normal day/night temperature variation under glass.

The attached pictures show Thelocactus Lloydii seedings sown on 10 August this year (just 4 weeks ago) and Submatucana Madisonorum seedings sown August 2019. I have also sown Arequipa Rettigii seed on 20 August this year which has already germinated.
20200909_182414.jpg
20200909_182232.jpg
20200909_182101.jpg
Stoogle
Registered Guest

Post by Stoogle »

Thanks for sharing your ideas and thoughts everyone. Useful to hear what others are doing and thoughts about this. I agree there are benefits to the baggie method but perhaps need to be a specific remit around this so it does not potentially increase problems that are faced tether than mitigating these.

Am finding the propagator trays worked well initially with daily venting to allow for fresh air circulation. The transition has so far gone well to GH. There has not been a control in this trial, but agree contrasting this approach with gradually hardening off of seedlings at an older age would be a useful study.

Many thanks
Stuart
edds
BCSS Member

Post by edds »

I'm a newbie to this so I am not saying this is how to do it, but I showed my seeds in suitably sized pots this year and then kept them in a windowsill propagator with bottom heat and an LED light and covered my seedlings with transparent seed tray covers until a few weeks after germination. The pots were removed from covered areas when I thought all germination was totally finished and I thought the seedlings were well rooted into the soil and growing well. Seedlings were removed from the propagator altogether once they were filling the pot (though I kept my Lithops seedlings on it all summer but with the heater element turned off since May).

I like to check on my seedlings and give them attention so sowing bags doesn't appeal, however effective it might be!
Ed

BCSS member 53038
Stoogle
Registered Guest

Post by Stoogle »

I personally think it is good to have more control over the seedling environment, allow it to dry out periodically. Sounds like you’ve had some good results, well done 😀
ragamala
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTH FYLDE

Post by ragamala »

I'm new to the baggie method. I wasn't encouraged to try it for genera such as Lophophora, which have always done well enough for me using the old cover and expose soonish method (I use divided half seed trays with plastic cover).

But having failed miserably with Strombocactus and Blossfeldia, I recently tried bagging, and for these I have had very satisfactory results. The bags I used obviously leak moisture very slowly, so I've needed to open and top up and reseal once or twice over several months, but I have a small forest of seedlings and I am sure I'd have continued to fail with the usual method, as I am now getting too forgetful to give the attention tiny seeds/seedlings would demand. I also tried baggies for Ariocarpus, as seedling growth has always been so slow for me othereise. With these I had decent germination and survival, but no increase of growth over my usual method.