Forum speed  Solved

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Terry S.
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa

Forum speed

Post by Terry S. »

Are other members finding that it now takes ages to do some things on the Forum, e.g. posting a message? Are the server and software finally on their last legs?
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Forum speed

Post by el48tel »

Yup ... I concur.
Could be bandwidth availability ..... anywhere in the system ..... demand obviously exceeds supply .... and this depends very much on the time of day.
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
Tony R
Branch: CAMBRIDGE

Post by Tony R »

I reported this to Bill Hildyard, the Administrator, on 11th July and he replied to me on the 22nd July, saying he would look into it.
It has only got worse, for I regularly have to delete duplicate posts where members have pressed the Submit button twice in frustration. You only need to press it once - thanks.

I suggest each of you send a direct email please to Bill at bill@hildyard.org.uk
Then he might see the level of frustration for himself.
Sorry!
Tony Roberts
Treasurer, Haworthia Society
Chairman, Tephrocactus Study Group
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
(Gasteria, Mammillaria, small Opuntia, Cleistocactus and Sempervivum are my current special interests)
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS

Post by el48tel »

Tony R wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:40 am I reported this to Bill Hildyard, the Administrator, on 11th July and he replied to me on the 22nd July, saying he would look into it.
It has only got worse, for I regularly have to delete duplicate posts where members have pressed the Submit button twice in frustration. You only need to press it once - thanks.

I suggest each of you send a direct email please to Bill at bill@hildyard.org.uk
Then he might see the level of frustration for himself.
Sorry!
It is very dependent on the time of day. Let's face it .... more folk at home ... more dependent on the net for work AND play
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
Bill
Branch: None

Post by Bill »

Forum is on a new server, along with all the BCSS web sites, there is no obvious reason why its running slow. I did increase the disk allocation a few days ago as we were running short of storage, we are over 50gbs and it could be we are reaching the limits of the software and may need to archive or prune some stuff.. I will look further at the site settings etc this evening.

While I appreciate Tony's frustration, emailing me directly on this subject will only result in your mail being deleted.

Mainly Haworthia and Gasteria, a few other South African succulents and the odd spiky thing.
Diane
BCSS Member

Post by Diane »

I definitely noticed slowness over the last week or so. And I’ve been logged out on a couple of occasions too, when I should be logged in all the time. Yesterday in particular seemed quite bad.
Diane - member of Kingston branch

Growing cacti - balm to the soul!
ragamala
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTH FYLDE

Post by ragamala »

Bill wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:27 am While I appreciate Tony's frustration, emailing me directly on this subject will only result in your mail being deleted.
I have never known anything such an outrageous and unsympathetic statement from someone who has had responsibility as administrator and indeed a trustee of the society.

Time for changes.
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Post by iann »

Has been very slow to post replies in the last week or so, as in long enough for me to walk away from the computer and come back later. Just reading messages seems to be mostly fine.
Cheshire, UK
Bill

Post by Bill »

ragamala wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:59 am
Bill wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:27 am While I appreciate Tony's frustration, emailing me directly on this subject will only result in your mail being deleted.
I have never known anything such an outrageous and unsympathetic statement from someone who has had responsibility as administrator and indeed a trustee of the society.

Time for changes.
Do you want the job?

I wasn't made aware it was still an ongoing issue untill now and now that I am i will investigate further, filling my inbox with reports of the forum being slow will achieve nothing but prevent me from looking into it!

Bill

Mainly Haworthia and Gasteria, a few other South African succulents and the odd spiky thing.
Bill

Post by Bill »

Currently there seems to be no time delay. Which suggests it may be a traffic issue rather than software. Is this particularly noticiable at any given time period.