Forum speed  Solved

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Chris L
BCSS Branch Websites Co-ordinator
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: MANCHESTER
Role within the BCSS: Branch Websites Co-ordinator

Re: Forum speed

Post by Chris L »

el48tel wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 11:54 am
Chris L wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 11:44 am I use another forum which is MASSIVE compared to this one and even that has a delay sometimes in posting stuff, so it isn't just this forum. The other one has far more subsections, more users, more everything. I've been a member since 2009 and as far as I know all my stuff is still there and retrievable.

One thing to try if there is a delay in your post going through is to press F5 - sometimes you'll find your post pops up straight away.

Another thing I occasionally do, if I've written an essay, is to highlight it and press CTRL-C to copy it to the clipboard in case it goes AWOL.
Chris
The copy tip is a good idea. I sometimes write in a wordprocessing package and paste it to the forum.

I'll answer your private email later.

Where's F5 on a cellphone?
F5 on a cell phone is usually the nearly full circle with an arrow on the end that is in the URL box.
Joined 1991
Lamb's Reference Plate Index http://www.cactus-corner.co.uk/referenc ... -guide.htm
FREE on Kindle Unlimited:
Anglesey Circular Walk https://amzn.to/34i18qF
Lytham-Arnside Walk https://amzn.to/3fpQPGf
My Redbubble Shop https://www.redbubble.com/people/cactuschris/shop
MatDz
BCSS Member
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by MatDz »

Chris L wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 11:44 am.One thing to try if there is a delay in your post going through is to press F5 - sometimes you'll find your post pops up straight away.
There's a very good chance this will result with two or more post copies submitted.

Edit: F5 is just a page reload button.

Edit edit: Original post 15s, edit <1s.
Mat
ragamala
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTH FYLDE

Post by ragamala »

el48tel wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:03 am
Keeping the old valuable contributions with all of the knowledge ..... versus ..... instant access to an empty database.

That's one hell of a quandary.

Over one minute to post with a time out too
I just don't understand the argument there. There is no technological impediment to handing efficiently large databases.

If the current service provider is not able to give the level of service that is acceptable, and incapable of implementing an adequate database access response time up to the need of the user, the user should change provider.
Bill

Post by Bill »

I will have to find time to schedule some downtime on the forum and see if some optimisation work on the database cant sort the issue, it shouldn't be the size of the db nor has this anything to do with service provider the issue is only with the forum, we have other dbs on the server that are running fine.

The other issue is this software is out of date but last time we tried an upgrade we lost the entire site, thank god for backups and I have been putting of trying again because of the now mythical new site.

Mainly Haworthia and Gasteria, a few other South African succulents and the odd spiky thing.
ragamala
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTH FYLDE

Post by ragamala »

I'll just add, Bill, that I personally have experienced no particular difficulties or delays, although I don't post that often.
Terry S.

Re: Forum speed  Solved

Post by Terry S. »

So what has happened now? I haven't had delays recently but now a number of images are failing to appear, e.g. on the home page. I have checked using Chrome and MS browsers.
Colin Walker
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Colin Walker »

Terry S. wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:05 am Are other members finding that it now takes ages to do some things on the Forum, e.g. posting a message? Are the server and software finally on their last legs?
Terry, I've made Ian well aware of the issues here on several occasions. I've pleaded with the BoT to give this TOP priority. As El Presidente I can do no more. This is all tied up with software development for the new website; it's work very much in progress, so watch this space.

A particular frustration for me is that my photos often aren't posted with the correct orientation. I believe this relates to my upmarket Apple software that the steam driven technology here just can't handle.
Cheers,
Colin

FBCSS
FCSSA
Fellow of the Linnean Society (FLS)
Member of the IOS
Honorary Research Associate, The Open University
juster
BCSS Member
Branch: CROYDON
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

Post by juster »

Terry S. wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:50 am So what has happened now? I haven't had delays recently but now a number of images are failing to appear, e.g. on the home page. I have checked using Chrome and MS browsers.
I noticed a few days ago that I couldn't get the home page at all on any of my three devices. Still the same.
Croydon Branch member, growing mainly cacti and Echeverias