can Mealy Bugs swim?...

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Cactusgirl
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: CORNWALL
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: can Mealy Bugs swim?...

Post by Cactusgirl »

I sprinkle diatomaceous earth around the base of the pots. Stops them mealey bugs from wandering around 😁
JonNo
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by JonNo »

Well, a check on the "moat" this morning revealed about fourteen or fifteen tiny (juvenile?) bugs floating in the water... It seems for now to have worked! Curiously, the bodies were all gathered together (I suspect there is probably a scientific reason for this, though it is beyond me), my guess is that they were trying to create a living raft for Queen Mealy to walk across and make her escape?..!

These are astonishing little creatures and I'll watch with interest how they overcome this latest challenge.
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Tina »

Did you put your detergent in the water ? so these were walking from the pot, scary to think how many may be marching about as I type.
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
JonNo
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by JonNo »

Hi Tina, yes, the soapy water is in the second saucer with the pot plus first smaller saucer sitting in it. So the bugs must have emerged from the pot, climbed down into the first saucer, then attempted to climb from there into the second saucer but got overwhelmed by the soapy water...

I must admit I was more than a bit surprised how many there were given all the treatment (including re-potting and root flush) the plant has had recently.