schlumbergera Christmas cactus VARIGATED/Aurea

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
AlysonJoy
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: SCUNTHORPE

schlumbergera Christmas cactus VARIGATED/Aurea

Post by AlysonJoy »

I have just found out that a varigated form exists of the popular Christmas cactus. I have seen one on ebay for £700+ and thats about it.

I'm looking for a cutting or a plant please, does anyone know a source? Dont mind buying from Europe if its a reliable source.
Stuart
BCSS Member
Branch: BRIGHTON, HOVE & District

Re: schlumbergera Christmas cactus VARIGATED/Aurea

Post by Stuart »

I've been given one on a couple of occasions, with nice yellow streaking on the leaves, sadly I lost them by leaving them too dry during the winter. I tried growing them with some shade along with Gasterias but it would have been better brought indoors for the winter. The person who gave me the cuttings in Holland doesn't have a collection any more but there must me more about. Its annoying when people put plants on ebay for silly prices, I've never listed anything on ebay with a starting price above £2.50.

Stuart
AlysonJoy
BCSS Member

Post by AlysonJoy »

I would like a varigated one having got many colour varieties of Christmas/Easter cactus. I have copied some info from a site called Daves Garden. I have no skill at inserting pics but will try, then maybe try a link.
https://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/381
Attachments
Screenshot_20200922-144129_Facebook.jpg
AlysonJoy
BCSS Member

Post by AlysonJoy »

the article goes on to say how the author manipulates daylight time to bring about flowering, using a paper bag. I mostly find mine flower on time. The only time they deviated was when we moved house.
Diane
BCSS Member
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Diane »

There are a couple on eBay currently, from Slovakia, with Buy it Now prices of £22 and £46 plus postage. There is also a German seller who occasionally lists them. Put a Saved search on eBay, which will alert you to any listings.
Diane - member of Kingston branch

Growing cacti - balm to the soul!
AlysonJoy
BCSS Member

Post by AlysonJoy »

thanks Diane