Last waterings

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Eric Williams
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: SOUTH WALES

Last waterings

Post by Eric Williams »

Just wondered if I am a tad early with my " last feed and watering". Have we all stopped yet ? Thanks
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Last waterings

Post by el48tel »

Don't know about S Wales, but Yorkshire is set to have possible ground frost later in the week. Apart from the "odd" plant .... I've stopped watering.
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
Herts Mike
BCSS Member
Branch: LEA VALLEY

Post by Herts Mike »

I’ve done my last one in general terms although Aloes may get so me more.
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Post by iann »

Have been watering so far in September, but most plants probably won't get any more. Just some succulents and some of the "special" cacti. Nice weather for drying them out though.
Cheshire, UK
Mike P
BCSS Member
Branch: CAMBRIDGE
Role within the BCSS: Branch Secretary

Post by Mike P »

Plants in the unheated greenhouses have had their last watering and should be drying out nicely. In the heated houses they were mostly watered on Sunday. Must remember to bring in the plants outside for the summer next weekend before they get too wet.
Mike
Secretary Bromley Branch
Eric Williams
BCSS Member
Branch: SOUTH WALES

Post by Eric Williams »

It seems I was not far off the mark then with my last watering. I too have brought about a doz plants in from their outside quarters. Not knowing what to expect re pests they may have uploaded (tiny slugs entering the pot via holes in the base) ? so I have quarantined them. Might be ott but it's not much work.
Stuart
BCSS Member
Branch: BRISTOL

Post by Stuart »

I have a bad habit of wanting to extend the growing season and last year watered too late into October which left some Aeonium cuttings in 5cm pots with botrytis that were closely packed together. I'm still aiming at another watering very soon and another at the start of October though maybe avoiding the larger pots at the last watering. There are quite a few winter growing succulents like Tylecodons that will still be watered.

Stuart
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS

Post by el48tel »

Eric Williams wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:21 pm It seems I was not far off the mark then with my last watering. I too have brought about a doz plants in from their outside quarters. Not knowing what to expect re pests they may have uploaded (tiny slugs entering the pot via holes in the base) ? so I have quarantined them. Might be ott but it's not much work.
Eric ... I am a newbie (still). My mentor says "equinox to equinox"
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
Tishania
BCSS Member
Branch: BRISTOL

Post by Tishania »

el48tel wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:54 am Eric ... I am a newbie (still). My mentor says "equinox to equinox"
That is a good guide, I must remember that one.

Ed
Returned member interested in anything that won't injure me or my wallet.
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Post by iann »

So, I had the watering can out this evening :mrgreen: For Conophytums, other winter-growing mesembs, and some Lithops. Supposed to be perfect for the next few days, sunny, cool, and quite cold at night.
Cheshire, UK