Lithops cultivation

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
MatDz
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Lithops cultivation

Post by MatDz »

Roger that!
Mat
Stuart
BCSS Member
Branch: BRISTOL

Post by Stuart »

I'd stop watering Lithops at the same time as I stop watering cacti, some time this month. Everything had a hose pipe watering a couple of days ago and maybe one more in another week or so, possibly avoiding larger pots. It's just a case of holding back with watering when cacti have their first watering in the spring even though the greenhouse is getting sunny and warm, just wait for the previous year's leaves to dry up, or almost dry up.

Stuart
Ross M
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by Ross M »

Many thanks for the information Terry, Ian and Stuart 👍 I'm hoping for better things next year
Ross

Dunbar, SE Scotland.
BCSS member #46264 (originally joined 1983).
Growing cacti since 1978, with a particular interest in Sulcorebutia and Rebutia.

Terry S.

Post by Terry S. »

I agree with most that has been said, but there are a couple of exceptions in the form of Lithops from the extreme west of their distribution in the Western and Northern Cape and SW Namibia. In the wild these would get some winter rain and in cultivation, if you stop watering in October, they will soon start to show wrinkling. The best-known example is L. optica and of course that often does not flower until Christmas. When it comes to the next spring and summer, this is one of the species that is slowest to regenerate and consequently one rarely starts to water it again before June.
AndrewB
BCSS Member
Branch: GLOUCESTER

Post by AndrewB »

Hi,

So, once spring watering and feeding starts, it does not matter if the replacement leaves have not grown to the same size as the shrivelling pair? They can still reach full size?
Andrew

Interested in most genera of small to medium ‘globular’ cacti, large flowering Mammillaria, Epiphyllum, Trichocereus, Hildewintera, Cleistocactus etc, small Agaves, Lithops, Titanopsis, Faucaria etc, plus hybridising.
rodsmith
BCSS Member
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT

Post by rodsmith »

AndrewB wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:55 pm Hi,

So, once spring watering and feeding starts, it does not matter if the replacement leaves have not grown to the same size as the shrivelling pair? They can still reach full size?
In two words, "No" and "Yes". The most important thing is that the dying leaves should be almost dead, certainly very shrivelled. If you water too soon, the old leaves may rejuvenate, in which case you would have to wait another month or more for them to shrivel again. In most years, some of my lithops don't get their first watering until July (e.g. karasmontana and optica).
Rod Smith

Growing a mixed collection of cacti & other succulents; mainly smaller species with a current emphasis on lithops & conophytum.
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS

Post by el48tel »

Rod
Thanks for that information. I didn't know that could happen. I knew not to water, but not what the consequences could be.
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
NickHitchcock
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by NickHitchcock »

el48tel, I joined the BCSS just before you, I had 4 pots of lithops with 2 in each in the first summer, I was sure the old leaves were shrivelled enough when I gave the first water, I was very wrong, those shrivelled leaves plumped up at an amazing rate and stayed like it for over a month. This year I will make sure old leaves are totally dessicated.
Northampton and MK member
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS

Post by el48tel »

NickHitchcock wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:48 pm el48tel, I joined the BCSS just before you, I had 4 pots of lithops with 2 in each in the first summer, I was sure the old leaves were shrivelled enough when I gave the first water, I was very wrong, those shrivelled leaves plumped up at an amazing rate and stayed like it for over a month. This year I will make sure old leaves are totally dessicated.
Copy that!
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
Terry S.

Post by Terry S. »

If you get fed-up waiting, old leaves can be carefully removed before they completely dry up. It doesn't harm the plants.