ID please

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Al Laius
BCSS Journal Editor
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: SOUTH WALES
Role within the BCSS: Membership Secretary

ID please

Post by Al Laius »

I’d be grateful for an ID please.
F0F311D3-FD65-4263-92E4-EB56280E3D21.jpeg
Phil_SK
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Forum Moderator

Re: ID please

Post by Phil_SK »

Cleistocactus winteri ssp winteri, I reckon.
Phil Crewe, BCSS 38143. Mostly S. American cacti, esp. Lobivia, Sulcorebutia and little Opuntia
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by el48tel »

Al Laius wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 2:15 pm I’d be grateful for an ID please. F0F311D3-FD65-4263-92E4-EB56280E3D21.jpeg
That's a lovely plant
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
Stuart
BCSS Member
Branch: BRISTOL

Post by Stuart »

I used to grow Hildewintera Aureispina which I think is also seen as Cleistocactus Winteri but usually the flowers are more spaced out along the older growth and just on one side of the stem rather than all around recent growth. Any chance of a photo of the open flowers. If not Hildewintera then probably a hybrid.

Stuart
Mal L
BCSS Member

Post by Mal L »

Wouldn't the very upright nature of this particular plant also suggest a hybrid as the species is usually sprawling or pendant?
Malcolm
Stockport, UK
Member of Macclesfield & East Cheshire BCSS Branch

Collection mainly of cacti, though interested in a much wider variety of plants than I can accommodate!
Phil_SK
Role within the BCSS: Forum Moderator

Post by Phil_SK »

I agree about the spacing of the flowers, perhaps to do with stem angle.
I don't find ssp winteri to be particularly pendant - mine grew upright to a height of about 20" before starting to lean then topple. There's a great photo of its habit in Rowley's Illustrated Encyclopedia of Succulents (p109 in my edition) if you have it, with stems at all angles, which might be affected by whether the surface it's growing out of is vertical or horizontal.
Phil Crewe, BCSS 38143. Mostly S. American cacti, esp. Lobivia, Sulcorebutia and little Opuntia
Mal L
BCSS Member

Post by Mal L »

Phil_SK wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 6:57 pm I don't find ssp winteri to be particularly pendant - mine grew upright to a height of about 20" before starting to lean then topple.
Interesting variation in individual plants. I don't wish to embarrass it, but my own plant clearly has considerable difficulty with achieving any significant 'verticality'. Maybe it needs some additional trace elements in its feed.
Malcolm
Stockport, UK
Member of Macclesfield & East Cheshire BCSS Branch

Collection mainly of cacti, though interested in a much wider variety of plants than I can accommodate!
Al Laius
BCSS Journal Editor
Branch: SOUTH WALES
Role within the BCSS: Membership Secretary

Post by Al Laius »

16711595-160D-47C9-89DD-8C8689211328.jpeg
I just took a photo of the whole potful and as you can see there is no sign of any droopiness. The flowering stem measures 77cms (2ft 6 ins) and is heading upwards.

I’ll go with the hybrid theory.

This plant was obtained from the leftovers at the late Bill Maddam’s greenhouse after the auction.

Al
Terry S.

Post by Terry S. »

Bill Maddams was unlikely to have any Hildewintera hybrids in his collection so I would work on the basis that it is a species. Please post the flower image when you can, that might help. He could well have grown something like Corryocactus, but I am not aware of species with such spiny stems. Or what about a very thin-stemmed Seticereus/Borzicactus/Cleistocactus icosagonus?
Last edited by Terry S. on Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peter
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by Peter »

My first reaction was that it's an Haageocereus.