Euphorbia obesa subsp. symmetrica male & female

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
MatDz
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Euphorbia obesa subsp. symmetrica male & female

Post by MatDz »

Hi, I'm looking for a couple of the Euphorbias from the post subject, a male and female "couple" of E. obesa subsp. symmetrica in flowering size for next season. There are some on eBay, but I'm not so sure about getting them from Malta, so thought about asking here. I'd be looking to spend not much more than £15, feels like a reasonable price if someone had a spare couple.
Mat
MatDz
BCSS Member

Re: Euphorbia obesa subsp. symmetrica male & female

Post by MatDz »

Bump, I'll wait a week or so before the next try, promise!
Mat
Stuart
BCSS Member
Branch: BRISTOL

Post by Stuart »

Symmetrica has always been a bit expensive and it's hard to justify as it looks the same as Obesa. I can't tell the difference. If you find them for £15 for a pair then I'd go for it, can't see any problem in post from Malta though there's always the risk of receiving a pair of same-sex Obesas. Miles Anderson, one of the best growers in the US sells them at $6 each for 'unsexed' plants with a maximum three per customer. That's a bargain price. He doesn't ship outside the US so there's the additional cost of air fares, car hire etc on top of the fact that we can't currently fly to the US. Maybe better to stick to Malta.

Stuart
Aiko
BCSS Member

Post by Aiko »

Do E. obesa change sex too? I know my E. bupleurfolia did change sex.
MatDz
BCSS Member

Post by MatDz »

Stuart wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 5:34 pm [...] That's a bargain price. He doesn't ship outside the US so there's the additional cost of air fares, car hire etc on top of the fact that we can't currently fly to the US. Maybe better to stick to Malta.

Stuart
From what I understand, subsp. symmetrica stays "round" all the time, i.e. doesn't grow up with age as the regular E. obesa do. This is what caught my attention at least. Also, I love hove casually you mentioned the air fares and car hire costs above, I ma afraid that would take the per plant cost a tad too high for my liking!
Aiko wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:05 pm Do E. obesa change sex too? I know my E. bupleurfolia did change sex.
Ugh, that would be very unfortunate. Would this mean that to get a male/female pair I would need to purchase them next season?
Mat
Stuart
BCSS Member
Branch: BRISTOL

Post by Stuart »

Euphorbias having a sex change, at least if you buy two Symmetricas and they turn out to be the same sex you can send one to the Netherlands for a sex change. When you do have a mating couple there's the fun of catching the seed as they fly around the greenhouse, plus the fact that self-sown seedlings that come up around the collection seem to grow better than those sown on purpose. There's an American nurseryman who can spot a Euphorbia ready to shoot its seeds and goes around each day to collect them from the plant before they are expelled.

Stuart
Diane
BCSS Member

Post by Diane »

My Euphorbia symmetricas have never changed sex (I have 4 or 5 of them) although I once had an E. meloformis that did, many years ago.

And yes, symmetrica tends to remain globular rather than growing taller. There are also slight differences in the tubercles on the ribs, but you need to see it next to obesa to appreciate the difference.

Symmetrica also tends to have branched inflorescences, but not always.
Diane - member of Kingston branch

Growing cacti - balm to the soul!
NickHitchcock
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by NickHitchcock »

I have made purchases from the person in Malta (realdecals) that is selling these, I didn't buy Euphorbia but what I did buy was good quality and packaged well.
Northampton and MK member
MatDz
BCSS Member

Post by MatDz »

Thank you Stuart, Diane and NickHitchcock, this is all very useful info, maybe except the surgical opportunities in the Netherlands :mrgreen:

I think I'll follow the Malta thread, unless, Diane, you'd like to part with a pair?
Mat
Diane
BCSS Member

Post by Diane »

Afraid not, Mat.
Diane - member of Kingston branch

Growing cacti - balm to the soul!