Matelea cyclophylla

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
williamn
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Non-Member

Matelea cyclophylla

Post by williamn »

This is my first 'proper' post since joining so be gentle!

I've seen some seeds advertised for this rather unusual looking plant and am tempted. Does anyone know anything about it, how it easy it would be to raise, particularly in the house?
MatDz
BCSS Member
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Matelea cyclophylla

Post by MatDz »

I have been looking at it as well. Seems to be very similar in cultivation to e.g. Dioscorea elephantipes, so not that difficult to keep happy at home. The only problem would be the smell of flowers - unless you like the smell of carrion of course :mrgreen:

Maybe D. elephantipes would be easier to find and see if you can keep them happy?

Some more info e.g. here: http://www.llifle.com/Encyclopedia/SUCC ... yclophylla
Mat
Herts Mike
BCSS Member
Branch: LEA VALLEY

Post by Herts Mike »

Lovely plant. I wouldn't mind one!
Nick_G
BCSS Member

Post by Nick_G »

I grew it many years ago. If my memory serves me correctly it was easy to grow and the flowers didn't smell. I probably kept it too cold one winter because I don't have it any more.
BCSS no.33806

Turbinicarpus, Lophophora, Ariocarpus, Lobivia and Gymnocalycium
fatich
Registered Guest

Post by fatich »

ralphrmartin
BCSS Research Committee Chairman
Role within the BCSS: Chairman - Research

Post by ralphrmartin »

I too have grown it in the past (although not from seed). It does not like cold, and needs at least 15C in winter, so don't e.g. leave it behind a curtain on a windowsill, where the cold can get trapped. It also needs to be dry in winter.

(It's cultivation is very different to Dioscorea elelphantipes which grows in winter, and can readily take cold down to pretty close to freezing in my experience; indeed I've had the vine against glass with frost on the inside).
Ralph Martin
https://www.rrm.me.uk/Cacti/cacti.html
Members visiting the Llyn Peninsula are welcome to visit my collection.

Swaps and sales at https://www.rrm.me.uk/Cacti/forsale.php

My Field Number Database is at https://www.fieldnos.bcss.org.uk
MatDz
BCSS Member

Post by MatDz »

ralphrmartin wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 6:38 pm [...] (It's cultivation is very different to Dioscorea elelphantipes which grows in winter, and can readily take cold down to pretty close to freezing in my experience; indeed I've had the vine against glass with frost on the inside).
I was mainly referring to the watering dictated by growing leaves/wines, I assume this is true here as well?
Mat
topsy
BCSS Trustee
Branch: BRISTOL
Role within the BCSS: Life Members

Post by topsy »

Hi,

Tony and I have one of these for the ssecond time as the first one we obviously kept too cold in the winter a couple of years ago. Currently it is growing indoors on a west facing window sill above a radiator and loving it. It has grown a good length vine during the summer which currently has 5 maroon coloured flowers open with more to come, and they do not have a bad aroma, in fact I cannot detect any smell; it has a very spongy/corky caudex, heart-shaped leaves which wilt if it does not get enough water and needs feeding regularly.

Pity we can't get any seed on it, but so far no success.

We bought it at ELK last year.

Would definitely recommend this as a houseplant during the winter.

Suzanne
Mal L
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Post by Mal L »

For anyone not familiar with this species here are a couple of photos from my plant a few weeks ago. With regards to scent there is no need to worry, as it is imperceptible at a distance and only just apparent if you almost stick the flower up your nose!
Matalea cyclophila2.jpg
Matalea cyclophila2.jpg (1011.13 KiB) Viewed 1497 times
Attachments
Matalea cyclophila3.jpg
Matalea cyclophila3.jpg (1.04 MiB) Viewed 1497 times
Malcolm
Stockport, UK
Member of Macclesfield & East Cheshire BCSS Branch

Collection mainly of cacti, though interested in a much wider variety of plants than I can accommodate!
williamn
Registered Guest
Role within the BCSS: Non-Member

Post by williamn »

Thanks for the pics - I can feel a lockdown purchase coming on!