Book found... any info?

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
AnTTun
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Book found... any info?

Post by AnTTun »

A friend found this book at uncle's attic:
WA01.jpeg
WA02.jpeg
Is it worth keeping it?
TTcacti - C&S database software - http://www.ttimpact.hr/anttun/
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Book found... any info?

Post by el48tel »

I acquired one recently. Makes interesting reading.
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
Phil_SK
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Forum Moderator

Post by Phil_SK »

Borg's 'Cacti', borrowed from the library, was the first cactus book I came across that wasn't merely a picture book with a bit of cultivation and overview of the genera. I was maybe 10-12 years old; I didn't own a copy until I was 16. I disposed of many books that I rarely look at last year but this one was never in danger of being culled, although I don't look at it often.
It tries to catalogue everything known in its time, relying heavily on Britton & Rose's Cactaceae but also drawing on the authors significant experience of plants in cultivation in Malta. It's a handy reference of the more obscure plant names that have mostly fallen into synonymy. Nice to have but far from essential. Not worth anything for resale, I shouldn't think.
Phil Crewe, BCSS 38143. Mostly S. American cacti, esp. Lobivia, Sulcorebutia and little Opuntia
Tony R
Branch: CAMBRIDGE

Post by Tony R »

It's a good book, I still look at it from time to time and, as Phil says, it is useful for obscure names.
I have several different editions of it.

This is the first edition fron 1937 when Borg was still alive. This frontispiece photo became Plate 1 in subsquent editions, when the photo of Borg was added. Might be worth slightly more than the 2nd and 3rd editions and reprints.

Img_1326.jpg
Tony Roberts
Treasurer, Haworthia Society
Chairman, Tephrocactus Study Group
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
(Gasteria, Mammillaria, small Opuntia, Cleistocactus and Sempervivum are my current special interests)
Mal L
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Post by Mal L »

This was also my first Cactus book, in the sense that I borrowed it constantly from my local library. Eventually my father gave me the money to buy a copy for my birthday - probably about 15 years old then. I still vividly remember going into the local bookshop and ordering a copy - especially the look on the owner's face who clearly thought it was an extremely odd request from a teenager! I still have it, and even though I don't look at it much I am sure it will always stay with me for sentimental reasons.
John Borg was probably the most famous botanist from Malta at that time, and was Director of the Botanical Garden there. For those interested in stamps, he also featured in a set of stamps issued by Malta in 1974 on the subject of "Famous Maltese".
Malcolm
Stockport, UK
Member of Macclesfield & East Cheshire BCSS Branch

Collection mainly of cacti, though interested in a much wider variety of plants than I can accommodate!
RAYWOODBRIDGE
BCSS Member

Post by RAYWOODBRIDGE »

My first cacti book also,everybody above has said what I was going to say regarding this book.
Keep it AnTTun it will come in handy.
Ray

BCSS member 50155
DKG member 311605
Echinocereenfreund member 100

Cactus only collection mainly from seed.
juster
BCSS Member
Branch: DARTFORD
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

Post by juster »

Yes this was one of my first cactus books, a good old friend. Well worth having.
Croydon Branch member, growing mainly cacti and Echeverias
Herts Mike
BCSS Member
Branch: LEA VALLEY

Post by Herts Mike »

Yes, one of mine too. I think Al Laius has it now.
AnTTun
BCSS Member

Post by AnTTun »

Thank you all :)
TTcacti - C&S database software - http://www.ttimpact.hr/anttun/
Mike P
BCSS Member
Branch: CAMBRIDGE
Role within the BCSS: Branch Secretary

Post by Mike P »

I think this was my third cacti book after ‘The observers book of cacti’ and the Hamyln ‘Concise guide to Cacti and succulents’. I originally had the second edition and recently acquired an almost pristine third edition complete with dust jacket. Dated but very interesting - I used to spend hours reading it and making lists of things to look out for. I also attempted the soil recipes.....I recall roping my parent into sourcing old lime mortar and well rotted cow manure!
My first copy still has its sales ticket in it and was sold to a Mr B Ullmann of Platts lane, London NW3 on the 20.12.1952. Interestingly the bookseller was based in Forest Hill to where many years later I would move. Oddly circular - how the book found its way to Devon to be bought by me in a second hand bookshop would be interesting to know.
Mike
Secretary Bromley Branch