Grafting seedlings

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
AnTTun
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Re: Grafting seedlings

Post by AnTTun »

@ el48tel - thank you :)

@ RJC - if everything goes as planned, there will be another talk about degrafting / rooting / regrafting

@ Terry S. - I've mentioned something like that briefly, next time I'll elaborate it with more details

Stay tuned :)
TTcacti - C&S database software - http://www.ttimpact.hr/anttun/
MatDz
BCSS Member
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by MatDz »

Let me hijack the thread a little.

Watching Andrew Gdaniec's talk right now and he mentioned grafting on Echinocactus grusonii, but I missed the reasons for that - can anyone comment? Or maybe Andrew is around? :wink:
Mat
edds
BCSS Member

Post by edds »

If I understood correctly it was to do with their survival outside during the winter. But perhaps someone else can confirm this.
Ed

BCSS member 53038
NickHitchcock
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by NickHitchcock »

That's certainly what I heard.
Northampton and MK member
MatDz
BCSS Member

Post by MatDz »

Thank you both! My Internet search told they are in a very similar hardiness range (-8C, maybe -10C) as e.g. Trichocereus pachanoi or bridgesii, so there shouldn't be much difference between them, am I correct? But, I must admit, I enjoyed the visual side of using E. as a rootstock quite a bit.
Mat
Terry S.

Post by Terry S. »

E. (or K.?) grusonii seems to be used quite a lot in central Europe as a grafting stock. I have bought a few plants grafted on this at ELK and they tend to retain their proper characteristics more than if they were on one of the Trichocereus stocks. Another advantage is that the supply of cheap E. grusonii seedlings is almost endless.

It was an interesting talk and his use of lava, as they do for commercial cactus production in the Canaries, was also thought provoking. If the depths of my brain are to be believed, lava has a lot of nutrients contained within it which is why the famous tomatoes are grown on the slopes of Vesuvius and why farmers risk living so close to active volcanoes in Indonesia. Lava flows out of volcanoes whilst pumice is the stuff blown into the air.

Stuart (see below) - they only use seedlings around 3 - 4cm and the ends of the tubercles are all sliced off as Andrew was doing with his larger stocks.
Last edited by Terry S. on Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stuart
BCSS Member
Branch: BRIGHTON, HOVE & District

Post by Stuart »

I've not seen E.Grusonii used as a stock at ELK though the spineless form of Ferocactus Glaucescens is often used. They both have similar forms of growth and grow side by side near the Zimapan Dam. I wouldn't fancy using E.Grusonii as a stock with the time needed to remove all the spines that get in the way.

Stuart