Cacti in Portugal

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Pattock
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Re: Cacti in Portugal

Post by Pattock »

Aiko wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 3:19 pm (I do wonder how many national societies on succulent plant exist. I only know of Netherlands, Germany, Belgium, Czech Republic, Italy, US and the UK. I also think one in China, Japan and South Africa exists, but I am not sure. How about other countries?)
There is an Indian Society of Cacti & Succulents, who have a journal. When I checked to see if they were still going I found that there is also a Cactus & Succulent Society of India Facebook page which seems very commercial.

The Cactus and Succulent Society of Australia has apparently been going since 1927.

I knew about those two, surely there are South American societies?
Asclepiomaniac. Armchair ethnobotanist.
Occasional, eclectic blogger:
http://pattheplants.blogspot.com/
anttisepp
BCSS Member
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by anttisepp »

Aiko wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 3:19 pmHow about other countries?)
There's also cactus and succulent society of Northern Countries:
Nordisk Kaktus Selskab
http://www.nordiskkaktusselskab.dk/
Etelä-Karjala, Suomi-Finland
anttisepp
BCSS Member

Post by anttisepp »

Patrick wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 5:42 pm <...> some Fero cacti got damp marks last winter but that was a much cooler location. Here I have the greenhouse where plants that need to be dryer can spend the winter. Lisbon, the Alentejo hills where I am and the Algarve are all different places with different climates,(like London to Leeds) the only constant is a lot of hot sun in summer!
I have seen many echinocactus grusonii and some ferocacti, pilosocerei in Algarve growing in frontyards probably without any care (houses look like people visited them many months ago) in very nice condition. Still don't get what's the biggest problem in cultivation and why sun is dangerous for plant which is all year round in an open air (vs our nordic season movements in/out) :)
Patrick
BCSS Member
Branch: SOMERSET

Post by Patrick »

anttisepp wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:55 pm
I have seen many echinocactus grusonii and some ferocacti, pilosocerei in Algarve growing in frontyards probably without any care (houses look like people visited them many months ago) in very nice condition. Still don't get what's the biggest problem in cultivation and why sun is dangerous for plant which is all year round in an open air (vs our nordic season movements in/out) :)
With my large cacti we are talking about plants that I brought with me from the UK. Adjusting to the sun here is not simple it seems. After the shock of losing plants the first winter I was here I have not put all my bigger cacti into the ground yet. Maybe it will be different when they are in the ground but also the Algarve is milder than where I am
Patrick. Small varied collection of North American, Mexican and Andean Cacti. Variegated Agaves and Echeveria. Developing a succulent garden in Portugal. Joined Somerset BCSS and forum in 2007.
jfabiao
BCSS Member

Post by jfabiao »

anttisepp wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:55 pm Still don't get what's the biggest problem in cultivation and why sun is dangerous for plant which is all year round in an open air (vs our nordic season movements in/out) :)
Our mild winter temperatures and high humidity are very good for numerous fungi, and even more so in spring: most of the plants I lose to various rot instances occur in early spring.
Acclimating plants to our sun is problematic because older tissue is a lot slower building up defences than new one, especially with plants that rely on glaucous coatings, as these are usually only formed with the tissue itself, and not replaced or later created "as needed". A good time to move plants to new locations is right now, as the plants will have a couple of months of low[ish] light intensity to get used to it. By early February the temperatures and light intensity will rise quickly and some form of shading is recommended. Of course, moving them at this moments has its own risks because of the winter weather...
Z

In sunny Lisbon, Portugal.
The Clumsy Gardener
Patrick
BCSS Member
Branch: SOMERSET

Post by Patrick »

As Jfabio said some plants are freely available in Portugal. This is just a normal garden centre in the Algarve
IMG_0088.jpeg
IMG_0086.jpeg
Attachments
IMG_0086.jpeg
Patrick. Small varied collection of North American, Mexican and Andean Cacti. Variegated Agaves and Echeveria. Developing a succulent garden in Portugal. Joined Somerset BCSS and forum in 2007.
anttisepp
BCSS Member

Post by anttisepp »

My more than 20-30 years grown plants are smaller than ones in the shop... :)
Under what names in Portuguese can I find garden centres etc using net?
"Loja agricola" or "garden centre" - search gives very small amount of points.
I'd want something in Sotavente, closer to VRSA.
Pattock
BCSS Member

Post by Pattock »

Viveiro? Like vivero in Spanish?
Asclepiomaniac. Armchair ethnobotanist.
Occasional, eclectic blogger:
http://pattheplants.blogspot.com/
anttisepp
BCSS Member

Post by anttisepp »

Pattock wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 5:49 pm Viveiro? Like vivero in Spanish?
(tu) = viveiros in portuguese. :smile:
But "Centro de jardinagem" amazinly plays also, i just found suitable one between Faro and Tavira:
https://www.jardimgarve.com/garden-center
jfabiao
BCSS Member

Post by jfabiao »

"Garden Center" will probably yield some results as well - please note the american spelling. Otherwise, "viveiro", or "viveiro de plantas" and "centro de jardinagem", as you noted. :)
Z

In sunny Lisbon, Portugal.
The Clumsy Gardener