Unwelcome visitor

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
habanerocat
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: DUBLIN
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Unwelcome visitor

Post by habanerocat »

Tina wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:22 am Quite brave to be out in the daytime, did it do any damage ?
They're getting fierce brave and bold lately.
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS

Post by el48tel »

FredG wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:07 am
el48tel wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:04 am
FredG wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:49 pm Has the sale of peanut butter just gone up in Macclesfield?
I am reliably informed by an expert in the field, that Morrisons own brand (others are available) is the best for baiting the traps.
I used Morrison's crunchy :wink:
The gourmet choice
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Post by iann »

This one took a bite out of every Mammillaria albiflora and half the pups from a Rebutia. Probably nothing fatal, but not pretty.

Yes, out in the day is odd and that's how I spotted it, trying to hide among the Lithops pots up on the staging, but making a noise on the polycarbonate when it moved. No damage to the Lithops.

I don't have a body to prove it is gone, but no damage for 48 hours now is encouraging. I couldn't find any nest.
Cheshire, UK
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by Tina »

OUCH -That's a shame it will take longer for the mammilaria to recover than lithop
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
Ali Baba
BCSS Member
Branch: DERBY

Post by Ali Baba »

FredG wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:03 am
Ali Baba wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:59 am I always close the doors and side vents at dusk.
I replace the glass in the doors with ½" wire mesh late April - Oct. It saves having to have them open and gives good ventilation.
Apparently you need at least as small as 6mm mesh to keep mice out, it certainly fits with the size of the hole they were getting in. 6mm mesh is quite expensive. Perhaps you have particularly fat mice Fred, must be all that peanut butter you feed them 😂
FredG
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Post by FredG »

Under £30 for a 6m x 90cm roll isn't that expensive. :smile:
Fred
Quot Homines Tot Sententiae
https://fredg.boards.net/
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Post by iann »

This is the damaged plant. Not quite the clump it was, but appears to have survived.
muscula-0225.jpg
Cheshire, UK
rodsmith
BCSS Member
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT

Post by rodsmith »

(tu)
Rod Smith

Growing a mixed collection of cacti & other succulents; mainly smaller species with a current emphasis on lithops & conophytum.