Lithops surprise! And ID?

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
NaZzAtAzEr
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: NORTH SURREY
Role within the BCSS: Member

Lithops surprise! And ID?

Post by NaZzAtAzEr »

I was away for four days and came back and saw this flower bud! I feel really satisfied as I rescued a bunch of these from a garden centre, days from deaths door.

This will be my first Lithops flower and I was not expecting to get any this year! Does anyone have the ID for it?
Lithops flower
Lithops flower
Ross M
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Re: Lithops surprise! And ID?

Post by Ross M »

I'm certainly no expert but looks like L. salicola to me
Ross

Dunbar, SE Scotland.
BCSS member #46264 (originally joined 1983).
Growing cacti since 1978, with a particular interest in Sulcorebutia and Rebutia.

Terry S.

Post by Terry S. »

Or the hybrid of L. salicola x fulleri with the greenies 'Fullergreen' and 'Malachite' also involved in the parentage. There is a lot of this in the Dutch wholesale trade.
NaZzAtAzEr
Registered Guest
Branch: NORTH SURREY

Post by NaZzAtAzEr »

I thought Lithops flowers stayed open, but mine seems to open at night and close during the day, so I don't really get a chance to see it!
20201126_213346.jpg
20201126_213338.jpg
I also included a picture which shows the rest of the batch I rescued. Still holding out hope for the tiny one if you can see it!
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Post by iann »

Lithops flowers normally open some time during the afternoon and close towards or after dark, but in cool dull conditions they can get lazy and may stay open (or closed!) more or less all the time.
Cheshire, UK