Pleiospilos leaves question

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Nicevans
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Pleiospilos leaves question

Post by Nicevans »

I noticed the outer leaves on my Pleiospilos Nellii Royal Flush are turning to jelly (also looks like there’s some mould growing on the jelly) which doesn’t seem right. Might it have got too cold? Its kept indoors in an unheated conservatory. The roots look healthy enough.
Terry S.

Re: Pleiospilos leaves question

Post by Terry S. »

It doesn't sound good. The natural process is for the outer leaves to just dry up. Because this species flowers in February, unlike other members of the genus, there is a misapprehension that it is a winter grower. The plants in my collection have not been watered since early October. I would be concerned that your plant has some sort of fungal attack, bringing it into the house on a windowsill for a few weeks would be the best treatment for this and remove the jellied leaves if necessary.

Unless you live in the Grampians, it is very unlikely that the plant will have endured sub-zero temperatures at any time yet this autumn and therefore it is unlikely to be the effects of cold. Plants in my collection get temperatures down to 2C and are quite happy under those conditions. Freezing solid might be deleterious but somebody on this Forum will probably tell us that it is not.
Eric Williams
BCSS Member
Branch: SOUTH WALES

Post by Eric Williams »

My P n. royal flush plants from seed have endured a good many Winters well below 3C without showing stress at all. I don't think as already mentioned that the cold has caused the problem.
Aiko
BCSS Member
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Aiko »

My three Pleiospilos nelii 'Rubra' survived a night of -5.5C last Monday. I was not fearing any of my plants would have trouble getting through an occasional night like that as long as they are dry.

(I already took in my heath loving plants - like Discocactus and Pachypodium - a month ago)
Stuart
BCSS Member
Branch: BRISTOL

Post by Stuart »

If the outer leaves have turned to mush and the inner leaves still feel quite solid, take the plant out of its pot, scrape off the mushy outer leaves with a blunt stick, wooden coffee stirrers have multiple uses in the greenhouse, leave it to dry and it might still be OK. If the newest leaves have any rot then there's nothing you can do.
Some plants just decide to rot for no apparent reason.

Stuart
Nicevans
BCSS Member

Post by Nicevans »

I have removed the jelly parts of the leaves, the inner new leaves still look ok. I haven’t watered the plant for a couple of months, not sure exactly how long. Thank you for all the advice, fingers crossed, should I repot it in a clay pot rather than plastic?
rodsmith
BCSS Member
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT

Post by rodsmith »

Nicevans wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 1:23 pm ...should I repot it in a clay pot rather than plastic?
I use clay pots for any succulent plants that are susceptible to overwatering. It won't do any harm to use clay and will avoid the nagging worry that overwatering plants in plastic pots can induce.
Rod Smith

Growing a mixed collection of cacti & other succulents; mainly smaller species with a current emphasis on lithops & conophytum.
Terry S.

Post by Terry S. »

I never use clay pots for mesembs, they dry out too quickly. And your P. nelii is not going to be watered again until spring anyway.