Conophytums: split or pot on?

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
el48tel
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: LEEDS
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Conophytums: split or pot on?

Post by el48tel »

el48tel wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:37 am [quote= ......
At least by throwing them into the garden recycling bin, they can be returned in the form of potting compost.
This year, I have thrown away lots of pieces of Aloe, Haworthia, conos and cacti.
I would imagine many C & S enthusiasts have been similarly placed this year. No shows .... no branch meetings ..... no contact with other enthusiasts ..... no opportunity to swap ..... reduced opportunity to sell. C & S are a niche market. I would think the uptake (even of a freebie) from a table roadside would be small. With ambient temperatures in the northern hemisphere falling, a tray of plants would not benefit from standing too long in the cold AND wet.
[/quote]
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
conolady
BCSS Member
Branch: EXETER

Post by conolady »

Terry S. wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 8:44 am Mat, the top plant is in a 7 inch pan and the lower one in a 5 inch. C. jucundum is VERY variable in terms of size of heads and degree of spotting with the 'Orbicum' form being one of the smaller ones. Also you will find that the size of individual heads on young plants can be twice that of heads on old plants of the same clone.

Sorry Aiko, I don't smoke so I do not have a supply of matchboxes. Also mailing a package more than 25mm thick would cost £3.70 plus cost of packing, which would be more than the value of the cutting inside it! Who wants 500 cuttings of C. jucundum 'Orbicum'? At least by throwing them into the garden recycling bin, they can be returned in the form of potting compost.

All of my hand pollinated seeds end up in my personal seed bank and the conos are capable of staying viable for 10 years. So it is easy to send these out at any time for whatever purpose. Plant cuttings are generated at various times during the year and for me, it is impracticable to mail them out. I might keep 5-10 and root them up for sales trays but very often nobody wants them, e.g. the rather nice spare plants that I have of Mammillaria bombycina from destroying a large plant 19 months ago. This year, I have thrown away lots of pieces of Aloe, Haworthia, conos and cacti. Sorry Aiko, I need the space in my greenhouse.
Having just read the posts on this thread, I thought I’d post what I do with my cuttings. I take as many as practicable, several to a pot, root them and send to plant friends and people I think would like them. Many beginners around are so grateful for a start, particularly as the price for conos has become so grossly inflated because of the Far East trade and eBay. I’ve always got quite a few to send. The cost of boxes and postage is pretty small, and I’m not bothered. If folk want to reimburse me, that’s fine. The smallest, commonest cono plant on eBay costs £5+ and postage, so I’m happy to get people going for nothing. I’ve not forgotten that many people have given me plants in the past, especially many out of my price range and I’m happy to pass on my extras. With people I meet on the Internet, FaceBook in particular and through introductions by friends, I offer cuttings and often send them unrooted. Ditto Crassula and adromischus leaves. It’s fun and we often make great friends; like as not, we swap cuttings later.

I sell a few plants on eBay and that helps with the greenhouse heating, pots, boxes and postage for the excess cuttings. I have repeat customers who correspond with me and they get extras as well so we’re all happy.

Common cacti, things no one seems to want or need, I give to my local WI plant stall. They can make some money from them for charities. I rarely give things to my local branch auction, I’m afraid, because no-one seems to want to pay even the price of the nice pot some of the lovely plants are in, even for charity. (Smaller plants I put in the raffle.) It’s a shame, but there it is. I’d rather give the plants away to people who will cherish them and there are lots out there. Yes, it takes a bit of time, but I’m retired, so what?

BTW, John Watmough runs an excellent plant exchange for the MSG. I and some others send rooted cuttings and he distributes them, so it’s only one box to send. So easy. He’s desperate for conos, in particular, in any form. Just email him or give him a ring. It’s a great service and, again, will make you friends...
First it was orchids, then, since c.2001, cacti and succulents. I'm into South African plants, mainly conos, lithops and haworthias, with a few cacti, especially 'posh' mamms, turbs and other smalls. Now it’s stapeliads as well...
ChrisR
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD

Post by ChrisR »

I'm with Aiko and Trudy on this one.

As many people will know, for many years I used to sell conophytums and adromischus. I was self-employed and the income was welcome. Since retirement I'm lucky to no longer need that income. But I still have the same amount of material spare and available each year. If I was so inclined I could still be selling on Ebay or elsewhere and making more than I ever did back then. But I hate where the hobby has gone with so many people taking advantage of the current vastly inflated prices, mainly due to the explosion of popularity in China and Korea. Many enthusiasts can no longer obtain or afford material now. All the good stuff is going to the highest bidders. Beginners struggle to get much at all, common or rare, as many of the long established suppliers cannot produce enough to meet demand.

Personally, I cannot bear to see this material wasted. If I could send parcels for profit I can send them for gifts, which is now what I prefer to do. I've sent out perhaps 30 boxes this and previous years, world wide, sometimes for the cost of postage, often not even that. The response is always the same, gratitude and often disbelief. Even jucundum 'orbicum' is prized by many who don't have it and indeed has been by those I've gifted it to.The pleasure sharing brings to people (and myself) is now worth more than money to me. If I ever get more than I can distribute I will certainly send it to the MSG plant exchange if it's still operating.

Surely better than the compost heap?
Chris Rodgerson- Sheffield UK BCSS 27098

See www.conophytum.com for ca.4000 photos and growing info on Conophytum, Crassula & Adromischus.
MatDz
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by MatDz »

ChrisR wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 3:45 pm [...] If I ever get more than I can distribute I will certainly send it to the MSG plant exchange if it's still operating.

Surely better than the compost heap?
I can confirm it is still a thing!
Mat
Joshf6
BCSS Member
Branch: SOUTH WALES

Post by Joshf6 »

I would just like to highlight how amazing it is for someone to receive a box with some cuttings in. I have been growing Mesembs for a few years now but is only over the last year or two that I have managed to get hold of an conophytums. Before I was generously given cuttings by certain members of the society it was almost impossible to get most conophytums (except seeds from the MSG and BCSS). They have become so expensive that many new growers are very reliant on the generosity of growers with established collections. So I just want to make it known that passing on any spare cuttings/plants/seeds is incredibly appreciated and it is true that plants that many consider common or boring really aren't to those who can't get hold of any!
conolady
BCSS Member
Branch: EXETER

Post by conolady »

Joshf6 wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:41 am I would just like to highlight how amazing it is for someone to receive a box with some cuttings in. I have been growing Mesembs for a few years now but is only over the last year or two that I have managed to get hold of an conophytums. Before I was generously given cuttings by certain members of the society it was almost impossible to get most conophytums (except seeds from the MSG and BCSS). They have become so expensive that many new growers are very reliant on the generosity of growers with established collections. So I just want to make it known that passing on any spare cuttings/plants/seeds is incredibly appreciated and it is true that plants that many consider common or boring really aren't to those who can't get hold of any!
So glad you’ve had pleasure from them, Josh. And our swaps have been fun, too!
First it was orchids, then, since c.2001, cacti and succulents. I'm into South African plants, mainly conos, lithops and haworthias, with a few cacti, especially 'posh' mamms, turbs and other smalls. Now it’s stapeliads as well...
esp
BCSS Member
Branch: BRADFORD

Post by esp »

Joshf6 wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:41 am it is true that plants that many consider common or boring really aren't to those who can't get hold of any!
This is a great point! I think it's perhaps forgotten by "insiders" in the hobby that for people without experience, contact with a network of like-minded plant growers and ready access to shops with a good range of C&S, it can be hard to get hold of many species. People often knock ebay, but its success as a market place for common plants tells a story.
ChrisR
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD

Post by ChrisR »

I know how fortunate I am to have what I have and do what I do. So as long as I can share I will do. I know there are other like-minded people, but more are needed.

Ask yourself, do you really need that extra few quid or could you make someone happy by sharing spare cuttings, plants or seeds?

As well as giving to those who want to grow what others take for granted, it has to be one way of reducing market prices and pressure on habitats. In these conservation-minded days, that's a big consideration.

We can all do our bit to contribute. And not only with conophytum.
Chris Rodgerson- Sheffield UK BCSS 27098

See www.conophytum.com for ca.4000 photos and growing info on Conophytum, Crassula & Adromischus.