December Cactus world is here

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Aiko
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: December Cactus world is here

Post by Aiko »

MatDz wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 10:07 pm
Aiko wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 8:42 pm
Tina wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 8:17 pm There was some interesting conos & lithops probably from Terry, as well as lots of other stuff, hopefully you will get some of your first choice.
Those that miss out on the choice Conophytums will have a second chance at the MSG seed list (if they are a member).
If Terry has enough to cover both ;) (I'm thinking only about the two specials from him!)
Spoiler alert for mesemb enthusiasts: the (not yet but very soon to be published) Succulenta seed list will contain three mesemb species that are certainly in the choice category. One of these I have not seen being offered even on the MSG seed list.
Roatavator
BCSS Member

Post by Roatavator »

This may be the occasion for a timely reminder to renew your subscription to the Mesemb Study Group by the year end. And if you’re not a member why not consider joining? Details on joining are here:-
https://www.mesemb.org/

The MSG seed distribution list will be published in the first MSG Bulletin of 2021, I can confirm the list is every bit as interesting as last year.
If any MSG members would like an electronic copy of the seed list, please email:-
MSGSeedOrders@outlook.com
Please note this is a different address to last year. If you had an electronic copy last year please could you apply again to the new address as I have been unable to get last year’s members addresses from the old email account.
Email lists will be released on the day the Bulletin is delivered. Seed orders can be made by email and payment made safely through PayPal.
We also have a MSG Facebook page, occasional news items etc are posted there and as the seed distribution gets underway I’ll update it regularly with progress reports, seeds sold out etc. Why not “like” the page and get notifications of new posts?
Peter. Lapsed cactus enthusiast, now into Conophytums. Fewer plasters when repotting! MSG member.
Terry S.

Post by Terry S. »

Most of the conos on the BCSS seed list are from me. However, when you get the MSG list at the end of winter, you will find conos from various people, so quite an in-depth selection. In the main, I try to send different species/ecotypes to the two distributions each year.

Aiko has now intrigued me, what has Succulent got that the MSG never had? Perhaps something like Sphalmanthus resurgans which is problematic because of the small number of seeds in each capsule. Or has somebody rediscovered Conophytum semivestitum without me knowing?
Aiko
BCSS Member

Post by Aiko »

Terry S. wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 9:08 am Aiko has now intrigued me, what has Succulent got that the MSG never had? Perhaps something like Sphalmanthus resurgans
I believe Phyllobolus (Sphalmanthus) resurgens has been on the MSG list a year or two / three back. Still a nice contribution, I must say. Dactylopsis digitata subsp. littlewoodii probably has not (I can't find the index back on the MSG website)? And I leave the other one still a secret. MSG has it on its list every few years (but not on the next one).
edds
BCSS Member

Post by edds »

Thanks for the link and heads-up Peter - I've just joined! Looking forward to more reading material!
Ed

BCSS member 53038
Roatavator
BCSS Member

Post by Roatavator »

Thanks Ed
Hope you enjoy the Bulletins and the seed list!
Peter
Peter. Lapsed cactus enthusiast, now into Conophytums. Fewer plasters when repotting! MSG member.
conolady
BCSS Member
Branch: EXETER

Post by conolady »

edds wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 1:19 pm Thanks for the link and heads-up Peter - I've just joined! Looking forward to more reading material!
Yay! Another convert!
First it was orchids, then, since c.2001, cacti and succulents. I'm into South African plants, mainly conos, lithops and haworthias, with a few cacti, especially 'posh' mamms, turbs and other smalls. Now it’s stapeliads as well...
MatDz
BCSS Member

Post by MatDz »

conolady wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 6:58 pm
edds wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 1:19 pm Thanks for the link and heads-up Peter - I've just joined! Looking forward to more reading material!
Yay! Another convert!
Luckily it's not a "one of many" choice!
Mat
Paul in Essex
BCSS Member
Branch: SOUTHEND-ON-SEA

Post by Paul in Essex »

Mine finally arrived yesterday. Seems I am getting post once a week at the moment with all the staff shortages at my local depot.

Great read this month - glad to see an outdoor agave featured at the end. Wrong ID, though - it is Agave polianthiflora, not filifera :smile:
www.oasisdesigns.co.uk

Exotic garden design.
Mal L
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Post by Mal L »

My copy has still not arrived so either the post is still delayed here, or someone else has got an early Xmas present by mistake. As I have already had other people's Xmas cards delivered to me I fear it may be the latter!
Malcolm
Stockport, UK
Member of Macclesfield & East Cheshire BCSS Branch

Collection mainly of cacti, though interested in a much wider variety of plants than I can accommodate!