December Cactus world is here

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Aiko
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: December Cactus world is here

Post by Aiko »

AntonyC wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 1:34 pm Still no sign of the journal here in the remote West Midlands. My seed planting may be sparce next year ☹☹☹
I also have not received mine, but I live at the other side of the north sea.

Luckily there are other sources too. Tomorrow the Succulenta seed list should be updated (you don't need to be a member to order, but members get in front of the line). Things really are slow regarding postal service. I am still waiting for a parcel with seeds from the Czech Republic, after four weeks. I guess it gets swamped among Black Friday orderings, Sinterklaas orderings, Christmas orderings and the 'regular' Covid-19 related online supermarket orderings.
conolady
BCSS Member
Branch: EXETER

Post by conolady »

I haven’t had mine, either. All my other post has arrived as usual.
First it was orchids, then, since c.2001, cacti and succulents. I'm into South African plants, mainly conos, lithops and haworthias, with a few cacti, especially 'posh' mamms, turbs and other smalls. Now it’s stapeliads as well...
AntonyC
BCSS Member
Branch: BRADFORD

Post by AntonyC »

Got it 👍👍👍
Growing anything I can keep alive :-)
Birmingham branch member
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Post by iann »

My hospital got a vaccine delivery, but I didn't get my Cactus World. Someone has their priorities all wrong :evil:
Cheshire, UK
Aiko
BCSS Member

Post by Aiko »

Maybe the Cactus Worlds go to health care workers first too...
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS

Post by el48tel »

Sorry guys .... I know how many doubledecker trailers full of post have been awaiting unload for a LONG TIME at our local office. Multiply that by the number of sorting depots in the UK. Add in staff shortage due to Covid and seasonal illnesses. Then you'll need a lot of patience.
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
Colin Walker

Post by Colin Walker »

Aiko wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 3:31 pm Maybe the Cactus Worlds go to health care workers first too...
Well here in the wilds N. of Glasgow the Dec. CW has yet to grace our front door mat. :shock:

Post Office deliveries here have been totally screwed up. I'll give you the worst example, but I have several equally appalling examples of exceptionally poor service.

So, an Xmas pressie ordered online in Edinburgh, which is only c.40 miles away, took 12 days to arrive, so each day the parcel only moved on average 3.33 miles. Is this some sort of record? I paid £13 to have it sent "signed for" delivery and whilst we were out yesterday sure enough it was delivered, unsigned for, to our shed. :shock: :shock: :shock: The supplier was so frustrated that half way through this process he dispatched a second item, yet to arrive of course and should this ever appear I've then got the added hassle of returning it.

In contrast I've had Amazon orders arrive the next day, all properly tracked along the route and delivered within an hour's time window by a named driver.

The PO really needs to up its game big time, since the service they're providing is like the proverbial dinosaurs and we all know what happened to them.
Cheers,
Colin

FBCSS
FCSSA
Fellow of the Linnean Society (FLS)
Member of the IOS
Honorary Research Associate, The Open University
Paul in Essex
BCSS Member
Branch: SOUTHEND-ON-SEA

Post by Paul in Essex »

Colin Walker wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 4:21 pm So, an Xmas pressie ordered online in Edinburgh, which is only c.40 miles away, took 12 days to arrive, so each day the parcel only moved on average 3.33 miles. Is this some sort of record?
That is crazy.

I had a strange one here. Outside of plants my main hobby is music - I play bass guitar in a couple of bands. I recently bought an old vintage bass and ordered a new scratchplate for it as the original was warped. It wasn't one that was available off the shelf so I had to send off the original to the guy who was making it to use as a template, then he'd send the old and new back to me.

2 weeks on and the online delivery tracker stated it had been delivered, signed for by someone called XP1. I don't know anyone called XP1. No card. Armed with this info I went to the local parcel depot to find it was only open between 8-10am. Went next day, it was shut that day. Being next to a school, the few available parking spaces were always taken up by mums on the school run and I had to park a couple of roads away each time.

I searched online and discovered that XP1 means signed for by postie. Who knew? But where had he left it? No card, no clues. I looked in all the likely places, no sign. Then I looked in all the unlikely places. For no particular reason other than desperation the next day I looked under my front door mat and, voila, there it was. We'd been stomping out feet on it for 3 days. :lol:
www.oasisdesigns.co.uk

Exotic garden design.
Redjimp
BCSS Member

Post by Redjimp »

Mine finally turned up. Two sides of the package was torn open but luckily I think all the contents were still inside .
Stuart
BCSS Member
Branch: BRISTOL

Post by Stuart »

Amazon left my digital projector under my van just in front of the rear nearside wheel. If I'd been driving on my own I'd have driven over it.

Stuart