Sansevieria francisii (?) identification confirmation

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
MatDz
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Sansevieria francisii (?) identification confirmation

Post by MatDz »

Colin Walker wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 3:22 pm
MatDz wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 12:38 pm [....]

I was quite lucky with my last visit to a garden centre and bought a 40 cm rectangular Italian terracotta pot with two stacked 50% discounts! So now (rather temporarily, as I am still hoping to find a suitable bonsai pot!) my S. francisii sits in it.
Hi Mat,

Well I'm dead jealous of your 40 cm rectangular Italian terracotta pot, so yes please if you can spare one. :grin: :grin: :grin:

Picture please perhaps?
[...]
It certainly doesn't look as amazing as I sounded, but still a pretty decent pot for a fiver!

I'm totally going to repot it into the discussed bonsai pot/pan as soon as I find one I like that won't cost an arm and a leg.

20201215_200926.jpg
Mat
MatDz
BCSS Member

Post by MatDz »

In the meantime I "painted" the pot "rustic white" (i.e. couldn't be bothered to paint it nice) and the plant started to flower from two of its three offshoots:

20210116_013456.jpg
20210116_013517.jpg
Mat
Colin Walker

Post by Colin Walker »

MatDz wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 4:14 pm
Colin Walker wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 3:22 pm
MatDz wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 12:38 pm [....]

I was quite lucky with my last visit to a garden centre and bought a 40 cm rectangular Italian terracotta pot with two stacked 50% discounts! So now (rather temporarily, as I am still hoping to find a suitable bonsai pot!) my S. francisii sits in it.
Hi Mat,

Well I'm dead jealous of your 40 cm rectangular Italian terracotta pot, so yes please if you can spare one. :grin: :grin: :grin:

Picture please perhaps?
[...]
It certainly doesn't look as amazing as I sounded, but still a pretty decent pot for a fiver!

I'm totally going to repot it into the discussed bonsai pot/pan as soon as I find one I like that won't cost an arm and a leg.
Hi Mat,

Excellent choice of pot for this straggly and difficult to accommodate sansevieria. Looking good. And for just a fiver what's not to like? After flowering it will go on to produce yet more straggly offsets.
Cheers,
Colin

FBCSS
FCSSA
Fellow of the Linnean Society (FLS)
Member of the IOS
Honorary Research Associate, The Open University
MatDz
BCSS Member

Post by MatDz »

Colin Walker wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:53 am Hi Mat,

Excellent choice of pot for this straggly and difficult to accommodate sansevieria. Looking good. And for just a fiver what's not to like? After flowering it will go on to produce yet more straggly offsets.
Hi Colin!

Thank you, it was pretty much luck, not a deliberate decision with the pot, I took whatever was large enough and on offer :mrgreen:

I am not sure I am ready for more offsets, I was absolutely lucky the 3 it has now (+ main stem) lined up so nicely to fit that pot. Next pot option is either a 60 cm monster, or a large square or circular bonsai, which would need to wait for a space upgrade first!
Mat
edds
BCSS Member

Post by edds »

How tough are the offsets as they grow? I'd there any way you can steer them round and back into the pot and secure them with wire loops or ties?
Ed

BCSS member 53038
Colin Walker

Post by Colin Walker »

edds wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:36 am How tough are the offsets as they grow? I'd there any way you can steer them round and back into the pot and secure them with wire loops or ties?
In my experience the joint of the stolon at the main rosette isn't that robust, so I've managed to break off a couple of offsets in the past when I really didn't want that to happen. So I doubt they'd take to being bent around to accommodate an unwieldy plant in a new container. Offsets also have a habit of flopping over, so overall it doesn't make a tidy plant. :shock: But it grows well and flowers when relatively small, so these are big pluses compared to many other much larger growing sansevierias. For example, my mega plant of S. downsii is sprawling at well over 1m across and is yet to flower for me.
Cheers,
Colin

FBCSS
FCSSA
Fellow of the Linnean Society (FLS)
Member of the IOS
Honorary Research Associate, The Open University
MatDz
BCSS Member

Post by MatDz »

Looking at my plant I second all what Colin wrote above, the stolons are pretty rigid and seem to be breaking off really easily. I am planning to try a bonsai style training on fresh stolons, where one wraps them with a wire and progressively bend to the desired shape bit by bit while they are still young.
Last edited by MatDz on Sat Jan 16, 2021 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mat
edds
BCSS Member

Post by edds »

Ah well - I did think after posting that if they were that compliant someone must have tried it already. Good luck with the bonsai wire.
Ed

BCSS member 53038
NaZzAtAzEr
Registered Guest
Branch: NORTH SURREY

Post by NaZzAtAzEr »

Looks like the plant enjoyed the extra special treatment with the paint and is now rewarding you!
MatDz
BCSS Member

Post by MatDz »

NaZzAtAzEr wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:05 pm Looks like the plant enjoyed the extra special treatment with the paint and is now rewarding you!
I made sure to choose a non-poisonous one, I bet it appreciated it!
Mat