MEMBERSHIP

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Acid John
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT
Role within the BCSS: Branch Chair

MEMBERSHIP

Post by Acid John »

There has been some talk about the difficulty of paying, I used this link and had no problems (tu)

https://www.society.bcss.org.uk/index.p ... tions.html
Acid John
juster
BCSS Member
Branch: DARTFORD
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

Re: MEMBERSHIP

Post by juster »

Thanks for posting this link John, looks pretty straightforward.
Croydon Branch member, growing mainly cacti and Echeverias
Ernie
BCSS Member
Branch: TEESSIDE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Ernie »

I paid by direct bank transfer. Took less than a minute
'Eternity is but a a brief moment away'
Hectorsgaf
Registered Guest

Post by Hectorsgaf »

Mine went through easily using paypal on 14th December. Heard nothing since though. Not even confirmation. :???:
Simon
BCSS member 53572
Simon S
BCSS Member
Branch: SHREWSBURY
Role within the BCSS: Membership Secretary

Post by Simon S »

Hi Hectorsgaf, you should have received an instant confirmation from PayPal that your payment was successful. Please PM me if not and I should be able to send you a copy (tu)

Thanks
Simon
Hectorsgaf
Registered Guest

Post by Hectorsgaf »

Simon S wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 4:01 pm Hi Hectorsgaf, you should have received an instant confirmation from PayPal that your payment was successful. Please PM me if not and I should be able to send you a copy (tu)

Thanks
Simon
Hi. Apologies if I was misleading there. I got the paypal confirmation. Nothing else / since though. Strange and busy times though I fully appreciate.
Simon
BCSS member 53572
Phil_SK
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Forum Moderator

Post by Phil_SK »

Simon, do you/does the Society have a preferred way of being paid? I've used bank transfer for the last few years (assuming it costs the Society the least in fees) but wonder if it isn't more of a pain for you to administer?
Phil Crewe, BCSS 38143. Mostly S. American cacti, esp. Lobivia, Sulcorebutia and little Opuntia
Simon S
BCSS Member
Branch: SHREWSBURY
Role within the BCSS: Membership Secretary

Post by Simon S »

Hectorsgaf wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 4:33 pm
Simon S wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 4:01 pm Hi Hectorsgaf, you should have received an instant confirmation from PayPal that your payment was successful. Please PM me if not and I should be able to send you a copy (tu)

Thanks
Simon
Hi. Apologies if I was misleading there. I got the paypal confirmation. Nothing else / since though. Strange and busy times though I fully appreciate.
Hi Hectorsgaf, no, not at all... it's just dawned on me that you may be a new member (apologies if not) and you certainly should have received a welcome pack - post allowing :wink: Please do PM me though if this isn't the case and I'll try my very best to put things right.

Phil, I've only been in post a short while but, from my limited experience, electronic means of payment are a little less painless.. more so from the banking perspective. That's not to say that all means are very much appreciated of course.
ragamala
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTH FYLDE

Post by ragamala »

Simon, if I can make a comment. The subscription form lists various methods of payment available. But these are preceded by the advice that the attached form should also be sent. This is a tad confusing, and if we want to pay the easiest way, or the most beneficial way for the Society, is somewhat counterproductive. Also I imagine it is difficult for the received forms to be matched up to payments not received by cheque, or by instruction on the form to use cc/debit card. If we want to pay by electronic transfer, for example, there is no way to indicate on the form that we will do/have done this.

I very much appreciate that you are following an old-established system, but I do think it is time for change. E.G.You have indicated that perhaps cheque payments are not the preferred method, but this is the strong indication, the way the subscription form is laid out. There may be some left who use cheques, but I suspect they are in a declining minority and most of us would appreciate a clearcut easy way to renew by digital transaction, also avoiding post.
Phil_SK
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Forum Moderator

Post by Phil_SK »

Let's hope that the long-promised introduction of direct debits obviates the need for a redesign of that form, which I agree is a bit muddled. I've done mine now; bank transfer is always less of a pain than I think it's going to be when I log on. It really helps that the details from last year (sort, acc, even the text "38143 Mem+Brad") are all there saved and waiting. A few clicks and I'm in for another year.
Phil Crewe, BCSS 38143. Mostly S. American cacti, esp. Lobivia, Sulcorebutia and little Opuntia