Brexit deal and imports

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
MatDz
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Brexit deal and imports

Post by MatDz »

Jeff S wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:13 pm I made a post earlier in this thread about a plant I ordered on Jan 1st from Poland. Well it arrived safely yesterday, I paid 20% vat at point of sale on Ebay, but no phyto was involved. In my experience 3 weeks is about par from Poland, as the seller didn't post it until last Monday, is this just luck, or will it be the norm? I think the only way we will ever really find out is by trial and error.
It's all fine until it isn't :mrgreen: I'd hold on as suggested above, maybe BCSS would be able to make a more formal enquiry to APHA, or whoever is the right agency, on that? Someone, somewhere must know what's going on.
Mat
FredG
Registered Guest

Post by FredG »

MatDz wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 2:01 pm Someone, somewhere must know what's going on.
Ah! A trusting soul :grin:
Fred
Quot Homines Tot Sententiae
https://fredg.boards.net/
jeffers766
Registered Guest
Branch: LEEDS

Post by jeffers766 »

As previously said. According to PEACH Private individuals still need to register and for every consignment will need to provide business details of seller if applicable, give details of which port the parcel is arriving at in the UK. Provide a phytosanitary certificate and pay vat on the total cost. You will be charged a documentation check fee ( £10.51) there is no plant inspection fee at present but will roll out from April. So back on the 19th of December I paid for 3 plants from a nursery in Italy through Ebay, the plants were not posted before the 31st and infact I had to contact the seller to find out what was happening as I'd heard nothing. I was told that the courier they use wouldn't deliver to the uk over Christmas and the new year and the seller was totally confused as to how to go about sending plants to the UK due to the new rules in place. I replied that I believed the plants would be confiscated if all the rules weren't followed, see above. The next day I got a message to say the plants had been posted, and the seller had provided a phytosanitary certificate free of charge. The plants arrived today, it was clear that the phytosanitary had been looked at by customs. The seller had also included their business details on a separate sheet so at least some of the required paperwork,information had been supplied. I didn't pay vat at point of sale because it wasn't applicable at the time , the parcel was delivered by parcel force so it remains to be seen if I recieve an invoice for the vat or the docs check fee.
Alex J
el48tel
BCSS Member

Post by el48tel »

It's beginning to look like ... watch this space .... according to some news items, some large equipment suppliers are withdrawing from selling to the UK because of the uncertainty of trading agreements and Customs etc. So how long before smaller units, eg growers in Europe decide that the procedures are not recompensed by the amount they need to charge and buyers are unwilling?
And the equipment manufacturer ... Nikon ... not even in the EU but tied up in the Brexit wrangle.
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
MatDz
BCSS Member

Post by MatDz »

el48tel wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:18 pm It's beginning to look like ... watch this space .... according to some news items, some large equipment suppliers are withdrawing from selling to the UK because of the uncertainty of trading agreements and Customs etc. So how long before smaller units, eg growers in Europe decide that the procedures are not recompensed by the amount they need to charge and buyers are unwilling?
And the equipment manufacturer ... Nikon ... not even in the EU but tied up in the Brexit wrangle.
For many smaller shops this was the first reaction right after 1/01, it might only get better with time...
Mat
mistyhiss
BCSS Member
Branch: KING'S LYNN

Post by mistyhiss »

I ordered some plants from Italy this month and they've arrived safe and sound. I needed to order a phytosanitary certificate with them which was about an extra £30 and shipping came to about £40-ish. Prior to this shipping would have been about £12 from this company. :sad: It took about a week and a half for them to get the phytosanitary certificate sorted (because of delays with UK customs apparently not knowing which form was needed...it was only the second week of January to be fair) but once dispatched the parcel reached me the next day.

I've looked at other places I've purchased from previously and some are flat out saying that they won't ship to the UK anymore because of the change in VAT rules. Can't say I blame them but it's such a shame. To make it worthwhile with companies which are still able to ship over here I think you just have to save up and place a big order in one go. That will be it for me for a few months, whereas previously I would place smaller orders here and there.

I think you can still order without a phytosanitary certificate but it's at your own risk. I'm not sure what would happen if a plants parcel were to be opened and checked at customs without one but I'm guessing if customs were savvy about what to do on the UK side they might not allow it through.
MatDz
BCSS Member

Post by MatDz »

While I understand where the other requirements are coming from, which doesn't imply I agree with them, the 300% shipping price increase is a mystery to me. This has to be a short-term hiccup of the courier companies, maybe making up for reduced volumes or something along this.
Mat
el48tel
BCSS Member

Post by el48tel »

Different product but ...........
I regularly have books printed.
The order is made though an international company.
They have a UK office.
The print house is in the Netherlands.
My last order yesterday, the first of 2021 showed VAT on the order .... and on the shipping.
The statement showed that I should not be surprised to see a local handling charge. I assume when UPS are about to deliver they'll ask for cash before they put it out for delivery next week.

You have been warned!
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
Tony R
Branch: CAMBRIDGE

Post by Tony R »

Indeed, Blurb seem to be well on top of their obligations re. UK VAT and our potential 'problems' re customs and handling charges this side of the water. Let us know how you get on please, my book will be a day or two behind yours :smile:
Tony Roberts
Treasurer, Haworthia Society
Chairman, Tephrocactus Study Group
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
(Gasteria, Mammillaria, small Opuntia, Cleistocactus and Sempervivum are my current special interests)
el48tel
BCSS Member

Post by el48tel »

Tony R wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:29 pm Indeed, Blurb seem to be well on top of their obligations re. UK VAT and our potential 'problems' re customs and handling charges this side of the water. Let us know how you get on please, my book will be a day or two behind yours :smile:
Indeed ...I will
Did you use their voucher code for 30% off? Without that, the additional costs would have been uncomfortable.