Recruiting new BCSS members from Reddit

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
edds
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Recruiting new BCSS members from Reddit

Post by edds »

Same here Paul - had to label my Crassula as Echeveria. That feels so wrong!!!

Any ideas Mat or HaoBao?
Ed

BCSS member 53038
MatDz
BCSS Member

Post by MatDz »

Paul D wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:59 am It seems like the only way of adding new flairs is by being a mod- is that correct? I've managed to upload a picture but only by choosing "Astrophytum". It's not appropriate to the picture but there were only 4 flair options available, and this was the only cactus one. I thought anyone could add flairs, but it doesn't look like it.
I've seen various posts about going into mod tools to add user flairs, but there is no option for mod tools.

I tried going back to the "original" reddit, and bcss is completely unusable in this- the menu swims all over the page.
Imagine all the words on this image moving around really fast!
I believe this is the case - the mod(s) has/have to create more general flairs like "plant photograph" or "help needed", or maybe even "cactus" and "other succulent".

Your screenshot is intriguing, this has to be a very specific combination of browser and other things, as on all three I have installed - Chrome, Edge and Firefox - all works correctly.

Edit:
edds wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:09 pm Same here Paul - had to label my Crassula as Echeveria. That feels so wrong!!!

Any ideas Mat or HaoBao?
Please see above.
Mat
edds
BCSS Member

Post by edds »

👍
Think it's over to HaoBao!

Maybe cacti, succulents and the others Mat suggested?
Ed

BCSS member 53038
Paul D
BCSS Trustee
Branch: GRAMPIAN (N.E.Scotland)
Role within the BCSS: Trustee

Post by Paul D »

MatDz wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:51 pm
Your screenshot is intriguing, this has to be a very specific combination of browser and other things, as on all three I have installed - Chrome, Edge and Firefox - all works correctly.
I use Firefox, 84.0.1, 64-bit edition. Windows 10 build 19041. Display res 1920 x 1080.
Paul in North-east Scotland (Grampian Branch BCSS)
National Collection Rebutia, Aylostera & Weingartia (inc. Sulcorebutia). Also growing a mixture including Ferocactus, Gymnocalycium, Lobivia, Mammillaria, Lithops, Gasteria, Haworthia.
http://www.rebutia.org.uk
MatDz
BCSS Member

Post by MatDz »

Paul D wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 1:12 pm
MatDz wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:51 pm
I use Firefox, 84.0.1, 64-bit edition. Windows 10 build 19041. Display res 1920 x 1080.
I am afraid all I can say is it works for me on exactly the same configuration, sorry!
Mat
Colin Walker

Post by Colin Walker »

Wow guys, Reddit is clearly NOT for Adults. :shock: :shock: :shock:

I'm way way over the hill to handle this kind of stuff. I still don't understand what the h**l a "flair" posting is and you know what, I really don't want to know. As a scientist I clearly live on a different planet these days.

But you know, Planet Colin where an Aloe is an Aloe and not an Echeveria is fine in my world of Adultness with an evidence based approach to life. :grin: :grin: :grin:
Cheers,
Colin

FBCSS
FCSSA
Fellow of the Linnean Society (FLS)
Member of the IOS
Honorary Research Associate, The Open University
edds
BCSS Member

Post by edds »

Colin Walker wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 4:52 pm Wow guys, Reddit is clearly NOT for Adults. :shock: :shock: :shock:

I'm way way over the hill to handle this kind of stuff. I still don't understand what the h**l a "flair" posting is and you know what, I really don't want to know. As a scientist I clearly live on a different planet these days.

But you know, Planet Colin where an Aloe is an Aloe and not an Echeveria is fine in my world of Adultness with an evidence based approach to life. :grin: :grin: :grin:
It's ok Colin, thanks to HaoBao's efforts you can just add the label (can't get my head around calling them 'Flair's when they are clearly just labels) it 'photo'.

Though my last effort didn't need a label adding. Can't seem that remove the Echeveria labels from stuff I've already posted but might figure that out later!
Ed

BCSS member 53038
HaoBao
BCSS Member
Branch: BRADFORD

Post by HaoBao »

As there are quite a few questions and points raised I’m just going to try and answer them all in one go, apologies if it seems random:

For the name, I think r/bcss is the most suitable, especially as cactusworld has already been taken.

Edds seems to have sorted out posting images now. One of the good things is the ability to add video quite easily too for a quick tour of your setup, a greenhouse or a shelf etc..

For Paul D having browser problems using the ‘old’ Reddit it’s probably best to stick to the new version of Reddit. I see the post you did works ok so hopefully it’s ok now.

The issue of what the society offers and why someone should join is a personal choice and may be different for different people. Personally I really like the seed list, although the ordering system causes some discussion here, it seems quite nostalgic, reminds me of ordering computer games as a kid and having to wait for something rather than the instantaneous results of most other things nowadays. Others might enjoy the books and journals and some might just use it as a way to donate.

For the adult talk and all that stuff, I’m not really a kid myself, I’m nearly 40 and I suppose everyone just does what they want. There are old users of Reddit and young users of Facebook. I don’t really care how old people are. On face value Reddit might seem like another young thing but it’s just a platform. There are subreddits that cover pretty much every subject from history to science and art so it’s for everybody really.

For example:

www.reddit.com/r/AskHistorians
www.reddit.com/r/askscience

One example worth checking out is www.reddit.com/u/argosdog his collection is amazing and he is an older user.

For the flairs, I have now removed them so there’s no requirement for them. It was a way of labelling posts but I don’t think it’s necessary and just adds confusion and extra steps.

For the work load of sorting out another subreddit, I’m not exactly sure how much work would be involved. I was invited to moderate r/moonstones and r/uksucculents and from those two groups it doesn’t seem like much has to be done. I think plant people are generally better behaved than the general public.

So for now, if using the name r/bcss is ok? We could just see how it goes and see if we can get the numbers up and try and add extra moderators if needed. If I put something on there so that if people join the BCSS after seeing posts on Reddit maybe when they join they could mention it in some way, so whoever sees over new memberships can tell if it’s beneficial to the society?

If anyone has any questions or issues, thoughts of potential problems, or are stuck with the Reddit App please ask away, I might be able to help.
Plant sales: www.CentralSucculents.etsy.com
Instagram: www.instagram.com/CentralSucculents
Reddit: www.reddit.com/u/CentralSucculents

All my plants are kept indoors and I started collecting in August 2018. Favourites are Pachyphytum, Echeveria, Haworthia, Mesembs and oddball Cacti.
MikeT
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD
Role within the BCSS: Branch Treasurer

Post by MikeT »

Colin Walker wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 4:52 pm But you know, Planet Colin where an Aloe is an Aloe and not an Echeveria ... is fine in my world
I used to like the planet where an Aloe was an Aloe and not a Gonialoe/ Aloidendron/ Kumara/ Aloiampelos/ Aloestrela ... :wink:
Mike T

Sheffield Branch
BCSS member26525
MatDz
BCSS Member

Post by MatDz »

MikeT wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 6:56 pm
Colin Walker wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 4:52 pm But you know, Planet Colin where an Aloe is an Aloe and not an Echeveria ... is fine in my world
I used to like the planet where an Aloe was an Aloe and not a Gonialoe/ Aloidendron/ Kumara/ Aloiampelos/ Aloestrela ... :wink:
I actually like the Aloidendron, tells a bit about the expected size (if I understand it correctly!) :mrgreen:

Back to Reddit, I think there are two ways the r/BCSS can evolve given enough stubborn of its current members: either a photo sharing platform à la "multiuser" Instagram, which I'd actually like as I refuse to post on the Instagram itself or on the public BCSS Facebook group, or into a more matured discussion board - but here it would be competing with the forum itself :???:
Mat