Recruiting new BCSS members from Reddit

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
edds
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Recruiting new BCSS members from Reddit

Post by edds »

Thanks for sorting all that out - certainly made it easier for me. Think it could be a really good platform for showing pictures of our plants and allowing comments on them easily. As well as hopefully attracting some new members.

Colin, or any other BCSS officers, do you have some promotional material about joining that could be posted up there too? And maybe a banner image to add to the page so it looks like this one?
Ed

BCSS member 53038
HaoBao
BCSS Member
Branch: BRADFORD

Post by HaoBao »

I just pinched some of the banner and the logo so the attached is what it looks like on my mobile.

The banner on the desktop version is really very narrow 4000px x 128px so there isn’t really a way to match the layout to this website.
Attachments
09912508-27EC-402E-A603-FFD57979B505.png
Plant sales: www.CentralSucculents.etsy.com
Instagram: www.instagram.com/CentralSucculents
Reddit: www.reddit.com/u/CentralSucculents

All my plants are kept indoors and I started collecting in August 2018. Favourites are Pachyphytum, Echeveria, Haworthia, Mesembs and oddball Cacti.
MatDz
BCSS Member

Post by MatDz »

https://www.society.bcss.org.uk/templat ... 5_logo.png is 1100 X 400 px, but someone has to have the template.
Mat
edds
BCSS Member

Post by edds »

It looks much better with that - a bit more official looking! Works well on my mobile. Good job.

Now we just need some stuff about how to join and the benefits of joining to post up there!
Ed

BCSS member 53038
Colin Walker

Post by Colin Walker »

MikeT wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 6:56 pm
Colin Walker wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 4:52 pm But you know, Planet Colin where an Aloe is an Aloe and not an Echeveria ... is fine in my world
I used to like the planet where an Aloe was an Aloe and not a Gonialoe/ Aloidendron/ Kumara/ Aloiampelos/ Aloestrela ... :wink:
But these name changes are based on good science.😀😀😀 Times move on Mike and you need to keep up to date rather than stay way behind the curve.😀😀😀
Cheers,
Colin

FBCSS
FCSSA
Fellow of the Linnean Society (FLS)
Member of the IOS
Honorary Research Associate, The Open University
Colin Walker

Post by Colin Walker »

edds wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 7:46 pm Thanks for sorting all that out - certainly made it easier for me. Think it could be a really good platform for showing pictures of our plants and allowing comments on them easily. As well as hopefully attracting some new members.

Colin, or any other BCSS officers, do you have some promotional material about joining that could be posted up there too? And maybe a banner image to add to the page so it looks like this one?
I'm merely El Presidente and have nowt to do with the running of the BCSS apart from the Research Committee, so members of the BoT not me need to respond to your requests. Sorry I can't help personally.
Last edited by Colin Walker on Wed Dec 30, 2020 6:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers,
Colin

FBCSS
FCSSA
Member of the IOS
Colin Walker

Post by Colin Walker »

HaoBao wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:48 pm I just pinched some of the banner and the logo so the attached is what it looks like on my mobile.

The banner on the desktop version is really very narrow 4000px x 128px so there isn’t really a way to match the layout to this website.
Good to see that a Crassula is still a Crassula so well done. :grin: :grin: :grin:

BTW does anyone know the origin of the cv. name 'Estagnol'' since this is new to me?
Cheers,
Colin

FBCSS
FCSSA
Member of the IOS
edds
BCSS Member

Post by edds »

Colin Walker wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 5:58 amBTW does anyone know the origin of the cv. name 'Estagnol'' since this is new to me?
https://www.crassulaceae.ch/de/artikel? ... E&aID=2257

From the name of a French nursery. A pyramidalis hybrid. Nice little hybrid, especially with the spiralling nature of the growth. Hoping to grow this to a large specimen so will be taking some cuttings to encourage branching in the spring (can put your name on one of you like?)
Ed

BCSS member 53038
Colin Walker

Post by Colin Walker »

edds wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:40 am
Colin Walker wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 5:58 amBTW does anyone know the origin of the cv. name 'Estagnol'' since this is new to me?

From the name of a French nursery. A pyramidalis hybrid. Nice little hybrid, especially with the spiralling nature of the growth. Hoping to grow this to a large specimen so will be taking some cuttings to encourage branching in the spring (can put your name on one of you like?)
Yes please Ed. I'm sure I can find some cuttings of interest in exchange, although my Crassula collection is relatively small compared to agaves, aloes and sansevierias.
Cheers,
Colin

FBCSS
FCSSA
Member of the IOS
edds
BCSS Member

Post by edds »

Colin Walker wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:37 am
edds wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:40 am

Yes please Ed. I'm sure I can find some cuttings of interest in exchange, although my Crassula collection is relatively small compared to agaves, aloes and sansevierias.
No problem at all - your name is put by the plant in my database too.
Ed

BCSS member 53038