Recruiting new BCSS members from Reddit

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
HaoBao
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: BRADFORD
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Recruiting new BCSS members from Reddit

Post by HaoBao »

I was going to setup another general discussion thread for ways to increase membership but then I came back to this post. I thought it might be best to just if I concentrate on trying to build up the numbers of users on the BCSS Reddit page.

There are 133 users on the r/bcss page now. It was 100 before Wolfgang’s talk on seeds. I advertised the talk on some other subs like r/cactus r/botany /uksucculents and got a good response. So it’s not too bad to have 133 after a few weeks.

I’ve seen a few people have joined BCSS through Reddit recently too on various posts so it’s already working a bit.

• I have scrapped the flairs.
• I added a link to the online talks and the membership page.
• I have started putting posts for the upcoming online talks. The one for Wolfgang was a bit last minute so hopefully with more time the numbers would increase.

Can I ask if there are any members here, that can’t be bothered with Reddit, (which I fully understand) that have any photo’s they would like to share? I could copy them from here and add them to the Reddit to use as promotional material. Best to use images that you don’t care much about copyright for if you’re a serious photographer as they would be going on to the internet. Just looking for decent interesting photo’s. Could be from a trip, show, seedlings, mature plants, greenhouse setup, shops you like (maybe not now), books you like, anything really. Nothing too personal though, best keep it to plants.

I’d also like to add good videos on there too so if you know any good ones please add a link to this thread and I’ll add it to Reddit. Or if you know how to do it yourself please do so.

An example would be:

Vic Knight - Growing Conophytums and Lithops
https://youtu.be/bF1D5ADglMk

And another reminder to turn your cameras off during the online talks haha. Sleeping, bogey eating, knitting, brushing teeth etc.. can whoever sorts out the talks announce something so people are aware?
Plant sales: www.CentralSucculents.etsy.com
Instagram: www.instagram.com/CentralSucculents
Reddit: www.reddit.com/u/CentralSucculents

All my plants are kept indoors and I started collecting in August 2018. Favourites are Pachyphytum, Echeveria, Haworthia, Mesembs and oddball Cacti.