Crassula time

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
edds
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Crassula time

Post by edds »

HaoBao wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:04 pm Thank you Ed, some of the thicker leaved ones are doing better. it was the Buddha’s Temple, Ivory Tower, Pyramidalis, Morgan’s Beauty etc.. that I lost, some of my favourites too.
I can certainly sort you out with a pyramidalis in the spring - need to take a cutting for a mate then so can easily take two!
Ed

BCSS member 53038
HaoBao
BCSS Member
Branch: BIRMINGHAM & District

Post by HaoBao »

Thank you Ed, would really appreciate that, I may have something to take a cutting from for you too if you like?
Plant sales: www.CentralSucculents.etsy.com
Instagram: www.instagram.com/CentralSucculents
Reddit: www.reddit.com/u/CentralSucculents

All my plants are kept indoors and I started collecting in August 2018. Favourites are Pachyphytum, Echeveria, Haworthia, Mesembs and oddball Cacti.
MatDz
BCSS Member

Post by MatDz »

edds wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:19 pm
HaoBao wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:04 pm Thank you Ed, some of the thicker leaved ones are doing better. it was the Buddha’s Temple, Ivory Tower, Pyramidalis, Morgan’s Beauty etc.. that I lost, some of my favourites too.
I can certainly sort you out with a pyramidalis in the spring - need to take a cutting for a mate then so can easily take two!
Late to the party, but I'd love to swap a cutting in exchange of your C. 'Dorothy', and potentially some others.

I also think my C. rogersii is having some fungal problems, although it's not really spreading (not that there's much plant left for "it" to spread), nor responding to the fungicide I've used, so I'm slightly puzzled. Also, my C. 'Estagnol' is a tad struggling from the bottom, I think it might need slightly more frequent watering than others to not lose the bottom leaves, but it's just a guess. Similar happened to my last C. pyramidalis x congesta hybrid, which I unfortunately had to replace in the end.

Actually, this thread reminded me I need to confirm IDs and care requirements of some of my Crassulas!

Edit: Very late, but hopefully there'll be something else to swap for ;)
Mat
edds
BCSS Member

Post by edds »

HaoBao wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:43 pm Thank you Ed, would really appreciate that, I may have something to take a cutting from for you too if you like?
Sure we can sort something out!

And Mat, the more the merrier!
Ed

BCSS member 53038
edds
BCSS Member

Post by edds »

My 'Estagnol' came with a fair amount of brown leaves at the bottom of the stems but doesn't seem to have got any worse over the year I've had it, same with the pyramidalis really. They are in 9cm pots in 50:50 John Innes : horticultural grit so probably do retain a bit more moisture perhaps?

Maybe one of the more expert Crassula growers on here can share their secrets of success?
Ed

BCSS member 53038
juster
BCSS Member
Branch: CROYDON
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

Post by juster »

Some nice plants here, it's good to see the flowers in the winter. Here's my C. mesembryanthemopsis, taken a few days ago.
IMG_1216.JPG
Croydon Branch member, growing mainly cacti and Echeverias
MatDz
BCSS Member

Post by MatDz »

juster wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:49 pm Some nice plants here, it's good to see the flowers in the winter. Here's my C. mesembryanthemopsis, taken a few days ago.
IMG_1216.JPG
It's like 30 of mine potted together! This is a great thread so far, an absolute pleasure to look at!
Mat
Stuart
BCSS Member
Branch: BRIGHTON, HOVE & District

Post by Stuart »

From a Judges point of view, the Mesembryanthemopsis is way out in the lead, it's a beauty. It's much slower and harder to grow well compared with 'Celia', mine looks rather poor in a 6.5cm pot.

Stuart
Tishania
BCSS Member
Branch: BRIGHTON, HOVE & District

Post by Tishania »

Definitely agree a great thread and pleasure to look at, all positivity.
And I don't even grow Crassulas, except the leaf cutting I liberated from the local chineese takeaway (it had already fallen off the plant).

Ed
Returned member interested in anything that won't injure me or my wallet.
Colin Walker

Post by Colin Walker »

I don't have many crassulas but yes indeed, several are coming in to flower.

Here's Crassula rupestris ssp. rupestris. This is in a shallow bonsai pot, but really this is in the wrong pot for display purposes. It probably would have been much better in a very tall long tom or even a hanging basket/pot. Note to self: repot early next year after flowering.

Note to Derek: this is your DT 4791 from W. of Hankey, acquired from you way back in July 1999. This does not appear to feature in Gordon's book. So, any comments on this collection please?
Attachments
IMG_3223.jpeg
Last edited by Colin Walker on Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:44 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Cheers,
Colin

FBCSS
FCSSA
Fellow of the Linnean Society (FLS)
Member of the IOS
Honorary Research Associate, The Open University