Crassula time

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
MatDz
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Crassula time

Post by MatDz »

Tina wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 5:10 pm Great plants & pictures (tu) ,
the C. fragarioides definitely look very different from the original plant that I had & the amazing picture done by Phil Hughes as published in cactus world many years ago so how has IT changed so much ?, what is this mutant from Leo :lol:
According to the quote from ICN above, it might be a different locality "form", or whatever is the correct nomenclature here.

And why is the plant lying on a chopped up strawberry on that drawing?! :shock:
Mat
juster
BCSS Member
Branch: CROYDON
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

Post by juster »

Tina wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 5:13 pm Juster how old is your C. mesembryanthemopsis, its on my wish list and a beautiful plant.
Stuart would it ever be worth entering a large multi trunk crassula gollum in a show against small choice crassula ?.
Thanks Tina. I've had the plant itself about 30 years, but it definitely is not easy and it regularly starts to rot and I rescue a piece and restart it. The one in the photo has kept going for about 20 years, it's the best one I've ever managed to grow, but I feel quite anxious about it, the weather has been so damp. If I have to break it up again I could probably send you a piece.
Croydon Branch member, growing mainly cacti and Echeverias
Keith H
BCSS Member
Branch: BROMLEY

Post by Keith H »

Ernie wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:16 am One more. No sign of a flower. Crassula falcataP1010442.JPG
Mine always flowers in mid summer.
Regards Keith.

BCSS # 50554
ChrisR
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD

Post by ChrisR »

Crassula susannae.......not suzannae or any other version :roll: :lol:
Chris Rodgerson- Sheffield UK BCSS 27098

See www.conophytum.com for ca.4000 photos and growing info on Conophytum, Crassula & Adromischus.
Stuart
BCSS Member
Branch: BRIGHTON, HOVE & District

Post by Stuart »

Tina, It's really difficult judging a large well-grown 'ordinary' plant against a choice, compact 'collectable' plant but it does happen in shows. The large Euphorbia Horrida that won Best Succulent at at least one National shows that an ordinary plant can come out on top. The pointing system in the Guide to Shows gives points for maturity though not 'large or small' There does come a point when a large ordinary well-grown and well-presented plant does come out on top. I've given Best Succulent to a Crassula Hummell's Sunset in the past, it just depends what else is there.
I've just added another Branch Show to my year-planner for next year, nice to see there's some optimistic branches.

Stuart
HaoBao
BCSS Member
Branch: BIRMINGHAM & District

Post by HaoBao »

‘Late to the party, but I'd love to swap a cutting in exchange of your C. 'Dorothy', and potentially some others.’

Hi MatDz

I was just looking back through this thread and wondered if you meant my C. Dorothy? If you do you are welcome to a cutting although I’d appreciate if someone here could give some tips for the best time and way to do it? I haven’t had much luck with crassula.

I also thought it might be a good time to ask if anyone might know what was wrong with my old, now both dead, C. Rogersii and C. Namaquensis (I think that’s what it was) some of my Crassula had this kind of creeping splotchy discolouration and I wouldn’t want to send out a plant that potentially had something wrong with it. It only seemed to affect my Crassula and maybe my Rebutia had the same type of problem too. The Dorothy one has always appeared ok though.
Attachments
36B9BA52-E9EB-4E0C-BE68-D5470E8669C7.jpeg
CD7AE638-C10E-4001-A639-3B113CCF0551.jpeg
064F9F88-F742-42A0-A4BA-044C5CEBB33D.jpeg
Plant sales: www.CentralSucculents.etsy.com
Instagram: www.instagram.com/CentralSucculents
Reddit: www.reddit.com/u/CentralSucculents

All my plants are kept indoors and I started collecting in August 2018. Favourites are Pachyphytum, Echeveria, Haworthia, Mesembs and oddball Cacti.
MatDz
BCSS Member

Post by MatDz »

HaoBao wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 2:12 am I was just looking back through this thread and wondered if you meant my C. Dorothy?
I'll reply to the above through a PM, we've derailed the thread enough already.

A note on cuttings, my Crassulas are rooting like crazy now, C. 'Springtime' head cutting had a couple of mm of roots within a week, but they're indoor in room temps, which definitely helps.

I am also looking forward to the postmortem of your two late Crassula as some of mine are unfortunately looking similar. I suspect either scorch or a fungal infestation (triticonazole does nothing, though!).
Mat
Apicra
BCSS Member
Branch: HARROW
Role within the BCSS: Branch Chair

Post by Apicra »

For Colin from his posting: https://forum.bcss.org.uk/viewtopic.php ... 10#p303931

I found my plant of DT 4791 from W. of Hankey in the greenhouse yesterday and it too is flowering. We are perhaps both correct with our identification! Crassula rupestris has a capitate white flower head so this is not that. Crassula perforata is a larger scrambler with an elongated white flowerhead so it is not that either!

What it is is an upright form of Crassula perforata subsp. kougaensis, described since Gordon's Crassula book, which has this characteristic elongated yellow inflorescence. You may know it under the old name Crassula nealeana - a good hanging basket plant. It has now been observed many times all along the southernmost mountain ranges of South Africa:
https://www.inaturalist.org/observation ... _id=598501

Happier New Year,
Derek Tribble
Colin Walker

Post by Colin Walker »

Apicra wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 10:50 am For Colin from his posting: https://forum.bcss.org.uk/viewtopic.php ... 10#p303931

I found my plant of DT 4791 from W. of Hankey in the greenhouse yesterday and it too is flowering. We are perhaps both correct with our identification! Crassula rupestris has a capitate white flower head so this is not that. Crassula perforata is a larger scrambler with an elongated white flowerhead so it is not that either!

What it is is an upright form of Crassula perforata subsp. kougaensis, described since Gordon's Crassula book, which has this characteristic elongated yellow inflorescence. You may know it under the old name Crassula nealeana - a good hanging basket plant. It has now been observed many times all along the southernmost mountain ranges of South Africa:
https://www.inaturalist.org/observation ... _id=598501

Happier New Year,
Derek Tribble
Hi Derek,

A huge thank you for this. Exciting to know I have a fairly recently described subsp. The label and data will be changed straight away.

Yep, I knew of Crassula nealeana but never associated your collection to that name.

Ernst described subsp. kougaensis as a cremnophyte which certainly matches my plant. Really tricky to accommodate in a pot and present attractively. The bonsai pot as I've said already really doesn't work at all. So after flowering I'll search out a more suitable container, and I'm thinking something tall, like a drainpipe perhaps. :grin: :shock:

However I really wouldn't describe my plant as an "upright form" since it truly wants to hang down a cliff. :grin:
Cheers,
Colin

FBCSS
FCSSA
Fellow of the Linnean Society (FLS)
Member of the IOS
Honorary Research Associate, The Open University
Colin Walker

Post by Colin Walker »

Tina wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 5:10 pm Great plants & pictures (tu) ,
the C. fragarioides definitely look very different from the original plant that I had & the amazing picture done by Phil Hughes as published in cactus world many years ago so how has IT changed so much ?, what is this mutant from Leo :lol: .

Here is crassula ausensis ssp titanopsis, Terry should recognise this as its an ex TS plant
My crassula suzannae plant I find this one a bit untidy as it has little sections that try & grow proud of the main plant body
Crassula fragarioides was actually published as a new species in Bradleya 29 2011 and Phil's excellent painting featured on the front cover.
Cheers,
Colin

FBCSS
FCSSA
Fellow of the Linnean Society (FLS)
Member of the IOS
Honorary Research Associate, The Open University