Crassula (identification) time

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
MatDz
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Crassula (identification) time

Post by MatDz »

It is high time to confirm or correct some of my labels,. I'll let myself start with Crassulas as some of them are in pretty active growth at the moment - joys of a tad lower temperatures and grow lights I reckon.

For the first round come two Italian beauties (as in "from Italian nursery", because both seem to come from Namaqualand actually), (I think!):

C. columella (https://www.crassulaceae.ch/de/artikel? ... C&aID=1103):

inCollage_20210108_005944081.jpg

and C. elegans (https://www.crassulaceae.ch/de/artikel? ... E&aID=2703):

inCollage_20210108_005910189.jpg

Thank you!

PS: I hope the title won't confuse too many people! :mrgreen:
Mat
eduart
Registered Guest

Re: Crassula (identification) time

Post by eduart »

Yes for Crassula columella, I am not sure about Crassula elegans - maybe a larger photo. However, the inflorescence looks like it.

Cheers,
Eduart
CSSNZ Auckland Branch

https://carpophyma.page.tl/
MatDz
BCSS Member

Post by MatDz »

eduart wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:27 am Yes for Crassula columella, I am not sure about Crassula elegans - maybe a larger photo. However, the inflorescence looks like it.

Cheers,
Eduart
Thanks!

I promise, the photo is huge! Try hovering over the lower left corner and centre- or right-click on the link there (or this might work directly: download/file.php?id=73403&mode=view).

PS: I know there is at least one mealy bug hiding on the very top of the stem on C. elegans (wannabe)!
Mat
ChrisR
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD

Post by ChrisR »

I agree your columella looks OK Mat but the elegans isn't. Neither the stems or flowers look correct to me for pure elegans so I'd say you have a nursery hybrid.
Chris Rodgerson- Sheffield UK BCSS 27098

See www.conophytum.com for ca.4000 photos and growing info on Conophytum, Crassula & Adromischus.
MatDz
BCSS Member

Post by MatDz »

ChrisR wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:59 am I agree your columella looks OK Mat but the elegans isn't. Neither the stems or flowers look correct to me for pure elegans so I'd say you have a nursery hybrid.
That's absolutely possible (with 99% chance) - I still like it, though, will just need to find a few "pure" specimens later on!
Mat
esp
BCSS Member
Branch: BRADFORD

Post by esp »

I see you have a stowaway cactus seedling with the 2nd plant. I bet that wasn't on the plant passport.
MatDz
BCSS Member

Post by MatDz »

esp wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:30 am I see you have a stowaway cactus seedling with the 2nd plant. I bet that wasn't on the plant passport.
Good eye! I don't recall any plant passport, but maybe there was something written on the "assorted cacti" label (or similar). I will worry about it later, it's still small so can use some extra water over winter I reckon, esp. while under lights.
Mat
Stuart
BCSS Member
Branch: BRISTOL

Post by Stuart »

The second photo isn't too clear but could be the hybrid Marchandii which I think is meant to be a natural hybrid.

Stuart
MatDz
BCSS Member

Post by MatDz »

Stuart wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:45 pm The second photo isn't too clear but could be the hybrid Marchandii which I think is meant to be a natural hybrid.

Stuart
I had C. marchandii (if we trust the labels...) from the same source (only for a brief period of time, it arrived in terrible state and even chopping it into pieces did not let me save any) and it had more prominent, pointy and upwards directed leaves, which matches photographs on ICN (https://www.crassulaceae.ch/de/artikel? ... M&aID=2676) and e.g. this one https://www.giromagi.com/prodotti/src/c ... _74681.jpg (well, now we know why they are "Italians").

I think I will put "aff. elegans" on it for my own needs, so I remember how to find where it might be coming from (winter rainfall west coast) and to give it a brief break in summer.

Edit: C. marchandii was also larger, while this one has less than 10mm in diameter, it had maybe 10-15mm.
Mat
MatDz
BCSS Member

Post by MatDz »

Today I visited (as a part of the daily exercise dose) the Conservatory Archives which happens to stock Giromagi plants. They had plants both labelled as C. elegans and C. 'Marchandi' (and a few more, couldn't say no to a couple of Haworthia hybrids :oops: ), a comparison photo below. I'm pretty sure my "C. elegans" looked like that about half a year ago, I just skimp on water!

20210112_174704.jpg

PS: I think the forum engine doesn't like portrait oriented photographs.
Mat