africa-seeds.com

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
williamn
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Non-Member

africa-seeds.com

Post by williamn »

Hi everyone,
Just wondered if anyone had used this site before and whether it is reputable? It seems rather expensive, but on the other hand it does have some seeds I have been looking for forever... (Dorstenia elata, not a cacti or a succulent - sorry!)
Herts Mike
BCSS Member
Branch: LEA VALLEY

Re: africa-seeds.com

Post by Herts Mike »

Suggest avoid. This came up on another forum and appears to be a scam. Based in Namibia but seeds come from Latvia and are not what they seem to be.

If it seems too good to be true it probably is.
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Tina »

Yes tried it the adenia pechuelli seeds were something else, aloe seeds zero germination
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
D^L
BCSS Member
Branch: BROMLEY

Post by D^L »

I too tried. Nothing was what it said it was, at least those that germinated - avoid.
David Lambie
Bristol
williamn
Registered Guest
Role within the BCSS: Non-Member

Post by williamn »

Sorry you were stung by it - you'd think there would be easier ways to scam people than to set up quite a niche seed company! Thanks for the info. My hunt for Dorstenia elata continues...
fatich
Registered Guest

Post by fatich »

It is out of stock but maybe you can ask them if it will be available or not.

http://www.sunshine-seeds.de/Dorstenia- ... anguage=en
Diane
BCSS Member

Post by Diane »

I looked at this site as they had seeds of a very rare Huernia I wanted, but if that was true I very much doubt it would be in stock, and most likely to be something quite different. I’ve also seen that they are scammers.
Diane - member of Kingston branch

Growing cacti - balm to the soul!
Stig
BCSS Member
Branch: CHELMSFORD

Post by Stig »

I placed an order for Ceropegia seed, I was sceptical but paid via PayPal so knew I was covered. They provided a tracking number that wasn't recognised so I queried it and didn't get a reply. I left it a bit longer but then asked for a refund which they provided without having to make a claim through PayPal. If it is a scam it does seem an odd way to go about it. Very strange but I recommend you avoid.
MatDz
BCSS Member

Post by MatDz »

It seems really simple, low value items, not many will bother to fight for a few quids with a company from Africa (or Latvia). PayPal seems to be a way to go, and they probably refunded because of it.
Mat
Aiko
BCSS Member

Post by Aiko »

Stig wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:35 pm If it is a scam it does seem an odd way to go about it.
And now they have your name, postal address and email address. Maybe that is what they were after and they will sell this information onwards to some people that like to scam and can use this sort of information when they pretend they are from your bank or something.