Grow lights

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
HaoBao
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: BRADFORD
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Grow lights

Post by HaoBao »

Pics of haworthia
Attachments
7AD326BF-FAF2-4F05-B5C3-8130E75B347A.jpeg
69CBBBFC-69AE-4831-9F47-761A857B8988.jpeg
0AB2B4A8-86EC-4ECD-B4A1-DCC1C2449B4D.jpeg
181C223B-ABA1-4D7D-A9E8-EBA1FD883378.jpeg
DBAF91B3-8626-4177-81DA-A3A9D1F694B5.jpeg
Plant sales: www.CentralSucculents.etsy.com
Instagram: www.instagram.com/CentralSucculents
Reddit: www.reddit.com/u/CentralSucculents

All my plants are kept indoors and I started collecting in August 2018. Favourites are Pachyphytum, Echeveria, Haworthia, Mesembs and oddball Cacti.
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS

Post by el48tel »

Yes Vaxer plus real sunlight cooked a few of mine last year
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
NaZzAtAzEr
Registered Guest
Branch: NORTH SURREY

Post by NaZzAtAzEr »

MatDz wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:57 pm I can recommend "V-TAC 20W 2ft LED Batten Fittings Integrated Tube Lamp 6400K White" I got off Amazon, but they are not so straightforward to install - come bare wired and need the bracket fitting, but a self-adhesive cable ties and standard plugs with some electric tape work perfectly for them. Link here.

I'm using them for all my plants, two per shelf (am considering adding another one for each shelf), and unfortunately keep the seedlings a tad far from them, so they etiolate a bit, but as I mostly have mesembs sown now, they should fix themselves sooner or later. My biggest worry now are Euphorbia obesa seedlings, which look like a ball on a rather whippy stick.
I use these after you recommended them to me. The best place to get them is CPC and buying 3 of them gives you free next day delivery. Brackets/mounting parts are also supplied. I have burnt a few plants under them and some seeds don't like them so I have covered most of them with thin paper which does the trick. Otherwise, it is a very great light and incredibly bright.
HaoBao
BCSS Member

Post by HaoBao »

Can anyone please explain how to wire up those batten type lights? I think I would have chosen them rather than the T8 ones if I had any electrical/wiring knowledge but the lack of a plug and a short wire put me off.

All my plants are kept indoors and I started collecting in August 2018. Favourites are Pachyphytum, Echeveria, Haworthia, Mesembs and oddball Cacti.
edds
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by edds »

HaoBao wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:54 pm Can anyone please explain how to wire up those batten type lights? I think I would have chosen them rather than the T8 ones if I had any electrical/wiring knowledge but the lack of a plug and a short wire put me off.
Just wire the short section into a small choc box (https://www.screwfix.com/p/debox-in-lin ... lsrc=aw.ds ) and put a flexible cable and plug at the other end. Make sure you swap the fuse out as 13 amp will be way too much. I imagine a 3 amp will be plenty.
Ed

BCSS member 53038
edds
BCSS Member

Post by edds »

If it might get splash then definitely use a waterproof connector instead of the one I posted!
Ed

BCSS member 53038
HaoBao
BCSS Member

Post by HaoBao »

Oooo thank you, you’re a star Ed. Is there anything special to do with the earth cable from the plug? I saw that the light wouldn’t have an earth.

And could you add a few lights into one connection box, still on a 3 amp fuse? I would think with the setups I’ve seen people make online it wouldn’t be uncommon to have 8-9 lights on one shelving unit so to have it all into one plug or a few plugs would be great.

Another thing I’d like to have would be maybe two small discreet PC type fans for air circulation on each shelf rather than having a big fan in the room. I really wish I trusted myself to do electrical stuff haha.

Cidermanrolls
BCSS Member
Branch: LINCOLN

Post by Cidermanrolls »

williamn wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:01 pm I've got a few seedlings emerge but not get past the cotyledon stage, I'm thinking grow lights could help? I presume just a suitable bulb in any light fitting over the seeds would be of at least some use?
Be careful not to cook the seedlings. LED lights give out little heat so are good from that POV . If you have your seedlings in a propagator, also use a light meant for humid environments.
Some grow lights offer different spectra. I think the pink lights are beloved of wacky backyard growers as the pink is claimed to promote flowering. I don’t think cactus seedlings need that too much.
I’m sure there is some good science behind choice of colour, but I’ve found the white lights to be pretty good for my needs.
MatDz
BCSS Member

Post by MatDz »

HaoBao wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:35 pm Oooo thank you, you’re a star Ed. Is there anything special to do with the earth cable from the plug? I saw that the light wouldn’t have an earth.

And could you add a few lights into one connection box, still on a 3 amp fuse? I would think with the setups I’ve seen people make online it wouldn’t be uncommon to have 8-9 lights on one shelving unit so to have it all into one plug or a few plugs would be great.

Another thing I’d like to have would be maybe two small discreet PC type fans for air circulation on each shelf rather than having a big fan in the room. I really wish I trusted myself to do electrical stuff haha.
I've used 2 wire plugs with a C7 connector, which I cut off and hard wired cables with the lamps, the connector edds suggested might be a tad more aesthetically pleasant if you care. The lights take milliamperes (if my maths is not wrong, 20W/240V*2^(0.5) gives about 0.12A peak), so 1A is fine for up to 7 20W lights, let's say 4 to be on the safe side.
Mat
edds
BCSS Member

Post by edds »

As Mat said, I'd use two core cable and leave the earth. If you have three core handy just wire it into the connector but don't connect anything to it on the other side.

The lights I bought allowed you to connect them in series with their own connectors so you only needed to wire one in but for my fish tank I have wired two into the same box to have the side by side and that has worked fine too.
Ed

BCSS member 53038