Cacti identification thread

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
MatDz
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Cacti identification thread

Post by MatDz »

discolover wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:48 pm Hi Mat,
I think 'your Echinocactus grusonii' is in fact a young Ferocactus schwarzii !!
Don't know about the Melocactus (too small), but certainly not ferreophilus. That one is very rare and not seen in the commercial circuit.

Peter.
I just compared my new "E. grusonii" to my old white spined one, and, well, you're very much right it's not one. I just have been pretty tired, or simply blind, when buying it. I guess I'll need to accept it's a Ferocactus, but maybe it would prefer to be called an Echinocactus, who knows?
Mat
David Neville
BCSS Zone Rep
Branch: SOUTHAMPTON
Role within the BCSS: Branch Secretary

Post by David Neville »

discolover wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:48 pm I think 'your Echinocactus grusonii' is in fact a young Ferocactus schwarzii !!
Don't know about the Melocactus (too small), but certainly not ferreophilus. That one is very rare and not seen in the commercial circuit.
I also firmly believe that the first plant is Ferocactus schwarzii. You have no need to be disappointed, it is a handsome species, and I first flowered it from seed when the stem was around 15cm diameter.

As for the Melo seedling, there is no way with such a young and immature plant to determine which species it might be.
David Neville
Secretary of Southampton & District Branch. BCSS member since 1977.
MatDz
BCSS Member

Post by MatDz »

David Neville wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:36 pm
discolover wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:48 pm I think 'your Echinocactus grusonii' is in fact a young Ferocactus schwarzii !!
I also firmly believe that the first plant is Ferocactus schwarzii. You have no need to be disappointed, it is a handsome species, and I first flowered it from seed when the stem was around 15cm diameter.

As for the Melo seedling, there is no way with such a young and immature plant to determine which species it might be.
The slight disappointment is caused only by the fact I really wanted to add a yellow spined grusonii to the albispinus and inermis forms I already have, it's certainly not a strong one!

On the Melo, I'm happy it is indeed a Melo, already a good start!
Mat
Mal L
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Post by Mal L »

David Neville wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:36 pm
I agree with David and it is indeed one of the easiest of the 'larger' Ferocacti to get to flowering. Mine started flowering when not much more than 10cm across. I had just seen plants in flower at the collection at Kew, so when I got back home I went and looked at my plant, wishfully, and lo and behold it already had flower buds showing for the first time!
Just to confuse issues a little, there is apparently an E. grusonii x F. schwarzii hybrid, though I don't know how it compares with its parents.
Malcolm
Stockport, UK
Member of Macclesfield & East Cheshire BCSS Branch

Collection mainly of cacti, though interested in a much wider variety of plants than I can accommodate!
Jura
BCSS Member
Branch: DUBLIN

Post by Jura »

Hey guys ,

Its brilliant that there is an identification thread. I am guilty of creating few identification topics, but this is so much handier!

I've got these echinofossulocactus from ebay (bought 6 and got 1 as a present) . Seller had them as echinofossulocactus sp. Asked for id and she couldn't give me the names.
I think one of them is tricuspidatus (left pot, bottom right) its also putting up a flower and so far it looks pretty light, no pink hues, which would point towards tricuspidatus. Also do please correct me if I'm wrong.

Just wondering if anybody could help me identifying all of them.
Attachments
20210411_122912.jpg
20210411_214505.jpg
MatDz
BCSS Member

Post by MatDz »

Jura wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:51 pm Its brilliant that there is an identification thread. I am guilty of creating few identification topics, but this is so much handier!
Just don't expect this thread to be pinned or anything, it's really just "my own" thread with a bit cunning name :mrgreen:
Mat
Jura
BCSS Member

Post by Jura »

MatDz wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:22 pm
Just don't expect this thread to be pinned or anything, it's really just "my own" thread with a bit cunning name :mrgreen:
I think this thread is well worth to be pinned, very helpful.😊
Aiko
BCSS Member

Post by Aiko »

I would rather see one specific thread on identifications for people to get their plants identified than people regularly making new threads with their requests (like on the Cactiguide forums). Identification requests really can get out of control, if one is not careful.
MatDz
BCSS Member

Post by MatDz »

Aiko wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:38 pm I would rather see one specific thread on identifications for people to get their plants identified than people regularly making new threads with their requests (like on the Cactiguide forums). Identification requests really can get out of control, if one is not careful.
That was partially my intention as you can tell from the very first post, the same could be done for "what's wrong with my plant" and "how do I actually care for that plant" threads
Mat
Jura
BCSS Member

Post by Jura »

I pm'ed one of the forum moderators pleading to pin this thread. Fingers crossed it will be done :)