Cacti identification thread

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Phil_SK
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Forum Moderator

Re: Cacti identification thread

Post by Phil_SK »

Yes, it's a good candidate for a pinned thread (I'm not generally keen to lots of pinned threads), though I might start a fresh one with some guidelines/hints in the first post. Let me have a think/look at other forums.
Phil Crewe, BCSS 38143. Mostly S. American cacti, esp. Lobivia, Sulcorebutia and little Opuntia
habanerocat
BCSS Member
Branch: EDENBRIDGE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by habanerocat »

I don't think I'd be in complete agreement. If three or four people come on the thread looking for IDs at the same time it's going to get very confusing and cumbersome.

Some of the ID threads can be very short for sure but others can lead to a good discussion on a particular plant and be very informative.

A large thread isn't going to be easy search either.
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS

Post by el48tel »

I agree with habanerocat .... totally. Leave alone please as it is.
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
edds
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by edds »

I'd suggest an ID section. Then it can be kept as separate threads with all the advantages of that but it's also easy for a newbie to work out where to post and there could be a sticky in that section giving pointers.
Ed

BCSS member 53038
MatDz
BCSS Member

Post by MatDz »

edds wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:07 pm I'd suggest an ID section. Then it can be kept as separate threads with all the advantages of that but it's also easy for a newbie to work out where to post and there could be a sticky in that section giving pointers.
Win-win!

What about a "quick questions" thread? Similar sticky threads really work, there's no need for separate threads for every single photograph or simple care question.
Mat
Jura
BCSS Member
Branch: EDENBRIDGE

9Re: Cacti identification thread

Post by Jura »

Hey guys,

My unnamed echinofossulocactus finally flowered. Just wondering if anybody can identify 😊
Attachments
20210425_105140.jpg
MatDz
BCSS Member

Post by MatDz »

Would it be possible to tell which variety of Lobivia jojoiana is this? Assuming it's L. jojoiana and their taxonomy is somewhat clear! Apologies for a tad subpar photographs!

20210525_131713.jpg
20210525_131659.jpg
Mat
Eudikati
BCSS Member
Branch: PORTSMOUTH & District

Post by Eudikati »

Hello, can anyone share some light of the IDs of these two plants please. Thank you.

Not a single clue on this plant ID.
IMG_20210601_180743.jpg

Hernia? Orbea? Stapelia?
IMG_20210601_180811.jpg
Thanks
Phil_SK

Post by Phil_SK »

MatDz wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 12:34 pm Would it be possible to tell which variety of Lobivia jojoiana is this?
If nobody else is willing to give a view I'll offer my answer, which is 'no'. Mostly because the varieties aren't very well distinguished rather than anything to do with your plant or your photo. I'd say that it is E. jajoana (note spelling) though E. marsoneri is very similar and some of the varietal names have been synonymised with both species somewhat haphazardly which doesn't help.
Phil Crewe, BCSS 38143. Mostly S. American cacti, esp. Lobivia, Sulcorebutia and little Opuntia
Phil_SK

Post by Phil_SK »

Eudikati wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 6:30 pmNot a single clue on this plant ID.
Possibly a form of Gymnocalycium monvillei? I had a plant labelled G. multiflorum (a rubbish name) years ago that looked like this.