Cacti identification thread

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
esp
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: BIRMINGHAM & District
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Cacti identification thread

Post by esp »

(Something)Cereus sp.? looks like Polaskia chende.

Was your Mamm actually rotting, not just with a healthy soft pink base?
MatDz
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by MatDz »

esp wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 12:56 am (Something)Cereus sp.? looks like Polaskia chende.

Was your Mamm actually rotting, not just with a healthy soft pink base?
Now I'm in doubt, but it's too late! It was very soft, as in almost mushy, and not evenly (did)coloured, so I'd guess yes, rotting. I hope. If not, I'll have two.

I'm quite surprised they're supposed to have soft bases.
Mat
MikeT
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD
Role within the BCSS: Branch Treasurer

Post by MikeT »

Mat

It does look from those photos as if it was normal Mammillaria colour. Some Mamms have a lot of pink or purple colour (from betacyanin pigment, I think). Bocasana, zeilmanniana, guelzowiana and others come to mind. And they can be soft, esecially if dry, or, as now, when dormant. Soft is not the same as soft and mushy and brown when rotting. It would be remarkable to have such healthy looking roots if the base of the plant body was rotting. At least they should root well.
Mike T

Sheffield Branch
BCSS member26525
MatDz
BCSS Member

Post by MatDz »

I wish this was my biggest mistake to date! :mrgreen: Maybe I'll pop in to the B&Q again and get a replacement!
Mat
MatDz
BCSS Member

Post by MatDz »

A little update, the Mammillaria heads seem to have survived my best efforts to kill them, but I'm not brave enough to check if they rooted already.

Besides that, I've done the mistake of purchasing two more unidentified cacti and would really appreciate a confirmation of my identification efforts:

This seems to be the standard Echinocactus grusonii (or Kroenleinia grusonii as it seems to be called now?):
inCollage_20210410_163721482.jpg

And here, I think, I have a young Melocactus ferreophillus, but there is quite a few similar ones:
inCollage_20210410_163757229.jpg

I appreciate all help!
Mat
EdMcKenna
BCSS Member
Branch: GLASGOW

Post by EdMcKenna »

I appreciate this forum as a tool for identifying unknown purchases.
I posted a picture the other day of 4 new pots containing 5 plants and the replies were all very helpful considering as has been mentioned in this thread, some might be known as different names.

For example one of my purchases was identified as a Wigginsia, I had not heard of these before so back to the books and online to find this specimen is known by other names, aka Parodia sellowii or................. :???: :???: :???:

Synonym: Echinocactus pauciareolatus, Malacocarpus pauciareolatus, Wigginsia pauciareolata, Notocactus sellowii, Wigginsia sessiliflora var. pauciareolata, Notocactus pauciareolatus, Notocactus sellowii, Notocactus macrogonus, Malacocarpus macrogonus, Malacocarpus macrogonus, Wigginsia macrogona, Wigginsia rubricostata, Echinocactus macrogonus, Wigginsia sessiliflora, Malacocarpus sellowi var. macrocanthus, Echinocactus sellowii var. macrogonus, Malacocarpus stegmannii, Echinocactus sellowi, Notocactus sessiliflorus, Wigginsia vorwerkiana, Malacocarpus vorwerkianus, Echinocactus vorwerkianus, Notocactus sessiliflorus var. stegmannii, Echinocactus sessiliflorus, Wigginsia stegmannii, Parodia paucicostata, Malacocarpus sessiliflorus, Notocactus sessiliflorus, Malacocarpus corynodes, Notocactus sellowii, Notocactus vorwerkianus, Notocactus rubricostatus, Notocactus stegmannii, Wigginsia sellowii, Notocactus erinaceus, Wigginsia macrocantha, Echinocactus acuatus var. corynodes, Echinocactus corynodes, Notocactus corynodes, Echinocactus courantii, Echinocactus acuatus var. sellowii, Notocactus courantii, Malacocarpus sellowii, Echinocactus sellowii, Wigginsia sellowii, Notocactus sellowii, Notocactus acuatus var. corynodes, Echinocactus sellowii var. typicus, Wigginsia leucocarpa, Echinocactus sellowii var. macracanthus, Malacocarpus macracanthus, Notocactus sellowii, Notocactus acuatus var. leucocarpus, Wigginsia corynodes, Malacocarpus leucocarpus, Echinocactus sellowii var. courantii, Echinocactus leucocarpus, Wigginsia fricii, Notocactus fricii, Malacocarpus fricii, Notocactus sellowii, Echinocactus fricii, Malacocarpus sellowii var. courantii, Wigginsia courantii, Notocactus
discolover
BCSS Member

Post by discolover »

Hi Mat,
I think 'your Echinocactus grusonii' is in fact a young Ferocactus schwarzii !!
Don't know about the Melocactus (too small), but certainly not ferreophilus. That one is very rare and not seen in the commercial circuit.

Peter.
Skribbane
Registered Guest
Role within the BCSS: Branch Vice Chair

Post by Skribbane »

I got one of the cacti with long yellow hooked spines from B&Q a while ago. My best guess was a young Ferocactus hamatacanthus v. flavispinus.
Vice-chair Sheffield branch & Internet Committee member. @xericdelights on Instagram. 700 plants later and I still haven't picked a favourite genus!
MatDz
BCSS Member

Post by MatDz »

discolover wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:48 pm Hi Mat,
I think 'your Echinocactus grusonii' is in fact a young Ferocactus schwarzii !!
Don't know about the Melocactus (too small), but certainly not ferreophilus. That one is very rare and not seen in the commercial circuit.

Peter.
That would be a bit unfortunate as I really wanted the "regular yellow spined" E. grusonii :mrgreen: But yes, Ferocacti were my other option, let's see how it develops!
Skribbane wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:22 pm I got one of the cacti with long yellow hooked spines from B&Q a while ago. My best guess was a young Ferocactus hamatacanthus v. flavispinus.
Neither or the two I have this time has hooked spines, but I got a beautiful one a month or two ago, I'll see if I posted it here. Edit: yes, it's on the previous page, I got it identified on the FB group, one more sec! Edit edit: it's the same species, but I'm still not sure which subsp., could the a "pure" one, or the sinuatus maybe. It's missing the flat spines to be var. flavispinus, shame!
Last edited by MatDz on Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mat
Skribbane
Registered Guest
Role within the BCSS: Branch Vice Chair

Post by Skribbane »

Hi, yes I meant the one posted on Feb 2nd :)
Vice-chair Sheffield branch & Internet Committee member. @xericdelights on Instagram. 700 plants later and I still haven't picked a favourite genus!