Stopping Ariocarpus flowering

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Nick_G
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Re: Stopping Ariocarpus flowering

Post by Nick_G »

I'm due a big cull of my cacti, Ariocarpus this time, I got rid of my Turbinicarpus last year. I do this every 10 years or so.

Here's part of eBay's email. As you can see CITES 1 are completely banned and CITES 2 internationally. That's all cacti banned internationally isn't it?

The item you listed comes from a species that is listed as protected under CITES Appendix I. Due to this classification, these items are not allowed on eBay. We appreciate that you chose to utilize our site, but we must ask that you please not relist in this case.

What you need to do next
You can't relist items we've ended. Please ensure your current and future listings follow this policy.

What is the policy
- The following wildlife products are not allowed:
-- Items made from endangered or threatened species or species listed on CITES Appendix I
-- Items from an animal listed on CITES Appendix II offering international dispatch
-- Ivory or bones from ivory producing animals
-- Items made from bears
-- Items made from marine mammals
-- Items made from protected turtles or tortoises
-- Items made from protected birds
-- Items made from domesticated cats or dogs
-- Items made from snake venom
- When listing items using animal parts, sellers must state the species of the non-endangered or non-threatened animal and follow US Fish & Wildlife regulations
- International dispatch of animal products must follow all country laws
BCSS no.33806

Turbinicarpus, Lophophora, Ariocarpus, Lobivia and Gymnocalycium
Terry S.

Post by Terry S. »

It does say animal listed on CITES II

Also my OED defines wildlife as "wild animals collectively"

So their regulations are contradictory to what you have been told
Jeff S
BCSS Member
Branch: CRAWLEY

Post by Jeff S »

It does seem strange that they say that you can't list Ariocarpus plants on Ebay, I have some of them on my Ebay watch list, and there are plenty of other Cites 1 plants for sale as well. The only plants they normally clamp down on are Lophophoras, and some of the Europeans list them as Ariocarpus to get around the ban.
Jeff S
Coventry Branch since 1988
Pattock
BCSS Member

Post by Pattock »

Nick_G wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 11:54 am Here's part of eBay's email. As you can see CITES 1 are completely banned and CITES 2 internationally. That's all cacti banned internationally isn't it?
Not quite all:

**********************************************************************************************************************
CITES Appendix II 26/11/2019
FAMILY listing Cactaceae spp.

Except the species included in Appendix I and except Pereskia spp., Pereskiopsis spp. and Quiabentia spp.

Artificially propagated specimens of the following hybrids and/or cultivars are not subject to the provisions of the Convention: Hatiora x graeseri; Schlumbergera x buckleyi; Schlumbergera russelliana x Schlumbergera truncata; Schlumbergera orssichiana x Schlumbergera truncata; Schlumbergera opuntioides x Schlumbergera truncata; Schlumbergera truncata (cultivars); Cactaceae spp. colour mutants grafted on the following grafting stocks Harrisia 'Jusbertii', Hylocereus trigonus or Hylocereus undatus; Opuntia microdasys (cultivars).

All parts and derivatives, except:

a) seeds (including seedpods of Orchidaceae), spores and pollen (including pollinia). The exemption does not apply to seeds from Cactaceae spp. exported from Mexico, and to seeds from Beccariophoenix madagascariensis and Dypsis decaryi exported from Madagascar;

b) seedling or tissue cultures obtained in vitro, in solid or liquid media, transported in sterile containers;

c) cut flowers of artificially propagated plants;

d) fruits, and parts and derivatives thereof, of naturalized or artificially propagated plants of the genus Vanilla (Orchidaceae) and of the family Cactaceae;

e) stems, flowers, and parts and derivatives thereof, of naturalized or artificially propagated plants of the genera Opuntia subgenus Opuntia and Selenicereus (Cactaceae); and

f) finished products of Aloe ferox and Euphorbia antisyphilitica packaged and ready for retail trade.
**********************************************************************************************************************

I would normally but you are going to have to imagine the italics are in the right places.

So, leafy cacti are fine for all traders.

So how can there be so many listings for leafless cactus plants for sending internationally? How can there be any listings for Ariocarpus?

CITES Appendix I 11/06/1992
GENUS listing Ariocarpus spp.

Includes generic synonyms Neogomesia & Roseocactus

https://checklist.cites.org/#/en
Asclepiomaniac. Armchair ethnobotanist.
Occasional, eclectic blogger:
http://pattheplants.blogspot.com/
Nick_G
BCSS Member

Post by Nick_G »

Jeff S wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 1:29 pm It does seem strange that they say that you can't list Ariocarpus plants on Ebay, I have some of them on my Ebay watch list, and there are plenty of other Cites 1 plants for sale as well. The only plants they normally clamp down on are Lophophoras, and some of the Europeans list them as Ariocarpus to get around the ban.
I think it's a bit arbitrary, depends on whether your listing has been identified/reported? Are there self appointed eBay police that report listings that contravene their policies or is there some of 'lookup' or algorithm that spots them? The ironic thing for me was that all the listings they removed were historic and I'd already sold the plants.
BCSS no.33806

Turbinicarpus, Lophophora, Ariocarpus, Lobivia and Gymnocalycium
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Tina »

I also had ebay remove spent ariocarpus listings quoting cites regs, which seemed a bit pointless. I'm not sure what will happen if I ever list any more it's was just a few duplicates so I was trying to be tough n get rid of the smaller ones.

I used some pointed dissecting scissors and you can remove lost if the fleshy bits, made a definite difference. Maybe look for the long pointed hairdresser/ barbers scissors.
Last edited by Tina on Sat Jan 30, 2021 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
Cidermanrolls
BCSS Member
Branch: LINCOLN
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Cidermanrolls »

Or use a dehumidifier in your greenhouse during the colder months, or at least until the flower remains have dried out. They aren’t that expensive to run, my one uses a peak of 300w I think.