Photo rotates randomly when posting from phone

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
HaoBao
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: BIRMINGHAM & District
Role within the BCSS: Member

Photo rotates randomly when posting from phone

Post by HaoBao »

Does anyone else have their photo’s rotated randomly if they try to attach pictures using their phone? The order is also random for multiple images.

The only solution I’ve found is to edit the photo’s in some way (cropping slightly etc..) before attaching it.

I’m using an IPhone 6, not sure if it’s the same on other phones
Plant sales: www.CentralSucculents.etsy.com
Instagram: www.instagram.com/CentralSucculents
Reddit: www.reddit.com/u/CentralSucculents

All my plants are kept indoors and I started collecting in August 2018. Favourites are Pachyphytum, Echeveria, Haworthia, Mesembs and oddball Cacti.
Herts Mike
BCSS Member
Branch: LEA VALLEY

Re: Photo rotates randomly when posting from phone

Post by Herts Mike »

Always take the pictures landscape.
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS

Post by el48tel »

HaoBao wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 2:01 am Does anyone else have their photo’s rotated randomly if they try to attach pictures using their phone? The order is also random for multiple images.

The only solution I’ve found is to edit the photo’s in some way (cropping slightly etc..) before attaching it.

I’m using an IPhone 6, not sure if it’s the same on other phones
You are not wrong. Cellphones don't always respect your thoughts on which way is "up". And an edit fixes the problem. It has been discussed before ... to great extent .... ad nauseam .... in other threads on this forum ..... with correspondents incorrectly blaming the site rather than the Cellphone technology.
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
Ali Baba
BCSS Member
Branch: DERBY

Post by Ali Baba »

The following works: download the photo to your PC. Edit the orientation using Microsoft Picture Manager. Save. Upload to the website. Tedious but the only reliable way I have discovered.
el48tel
BCSS Member

Post by el48tel »

Ali Baba wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:16 am The following works: download the photo to your PC. Edit the orientation using Microsoft Picture Manager. Save. Upload to the website. Tedious but the only reliable way I have discovered.
Yup ... true.
Or ... use the freebie Adobe PhotoShop Express on any Tablet or Cellphone ... just open then save ... then upload. You can make edits before you save! There's an article in CactusWorld September 2020.
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
HaoBao
BCSS Member
Branch: BIRMINGHAM & District

Post by HaoBao »

Hopefully the new website fixes it.
Plant sales: www.CentralSucculents.etsy.com
Instagram: www.instagram.com/CentralSucculents
Reddit: www.reddit.com/u/CentralSucculents

All my plants are kept indoors and I started collecting in August 2018. Favourites are Pachyphytum, Echeveria, Haworthia, Mesembs and oddball Cacti.
Herts Mike
BCSS Member
Branch: LEA VALLEY

Post by Herts Mike »

All my pictures are taken on my iPhone and I never have a problem.
el48tel
BCSS Member

Post by el48tel »

HaoBao wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 12:55 pm Hopefully the new website fixes it.
Not a feature of websites ... feature of the EXIF data in the header section of JPG and similar image files ... and that is dependent on the engine writing them from the imaging chip. Doesn't matter what the website .... if the orientation data is absent or set to the default then the website will read from line one and put it at the top. If you held the Cellphone upside down then that's what you get. If you read the file into an image editor and resave it, that sets the orientation and writes it into the EXIF. Then it can be read for the orientation. Don't blame the website ... blame the person who took the photo.
Acid John
BCSS Member
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT
Role within the BCSS: Branch Chair

Post by Acid John »

It is this website, in NO other sites does it happen even with the same photo. Usually if you have a wrongly oriented photo when you tap the lower edge it will open larger and in the correct orientation. Why the site cannot do it right first time I don't know. It didn't used to be this way and I still use the same phone so nothing has changed on my end.
Acid John
el48tel
BCSS Member

Post by el48tel »

Acid John wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 1:42 pm It is this website, in NO other sites does it happen even with the same photo. Usually if you have a wrongly oriented photo when you tap the lower edge it will open larger and in the correct orientation. Why the site cannot do it right first time I don't know. It didn't used to be this way and I still use the same phone so nothing has changed on my end.
Useful to know that AcidJohn. Thanks for the information.
I used to work for an organisation which used the phpBB system as part of reporting back to the team leader. It used the same system this one does and that too needed to have the image the right way round before posting.