Succulent smuggling

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Herts Mike
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: LEA VALLEY

Succulent smuggling

Post by Herts Mike »

Terry S.

Re: Succulent smuggling

Post by Terry S. »

Stuart
BCSS Member
Branch: BRIGHTON, HOVE & District

Post by Stuart »

I'm assuming the evidence described with a 'black stocking' label meant that they were wrapped in a black stocking. She can't have worn them with all those Lithops stuffed down them. The South African smuggling deserves wider publicity.

Stuart
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by el48tel »

Two comments .....

Having been through the Biosecurity checks a few times going into NZ, I'll say it's a tightly controlled process, and they are thorough .... even one speck of suspect material on my walking boots was scrutinized and then meticulously decontaminated.

Whilst we have people who "must have", we'll have people who will go to any risk to supply.
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
Pattock
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by Pattock »

Terry S. wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:54 am She is an amateur:
https://www.saps.gov.za/newsroom/msspee ... ICbWZSoONw
Estimated value £2.23 per plant.

I like that the South African Police Service badge has a tree aloe. Not so good that they have to put a plea on their website: "Stop killing our police". Amazing that they can spare the time and resources for wildlife crime.
Asclepiomaniac. Armchair ethnobotanist.
Occasional, eclectic blogger:
http://pattheplants.blogspot.com/
Herts Mike
BCSS Member
Branch: LEA VALLEY

Post by Herts Mike »

Seeing Terry’s post and mention of court made me wonder what had happened about Rod and Rachel Saunders case. Latest I could find was that the 3 alleged murderers were going for pre trial at Durban High Court May 29 last year.
Terry S.

Post by Terry S. »

The plants seized in New Zealand appear to be cultivated material of course. Even though most of what we can see is South African in origin, there is no way that tourists can visit that country at the present time. The people arrested recently in RSA would have been locals who probably do not get the level of fines that are levied on foreign poachers.

The RSA police of course do not have the resources to work very much against wildlife crime although I think that awareness levels are being raised. There was a recent British TV news item on them intercepting a pangolin that was being traded for its value in traditional medicine in the far east.
Pattock
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by Pattock »

Herts Mike wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 2:06 pm Seeing Terry’s post and mention of court made me wonder what had happened about Rod and Rachel Saunders case. Latest I could find was that the 3 alleged murderers were going for pre trial at Durban High Court May 29 last year.
Delayed by the defendants causing trouble in prison and having to be moved. Now further delayed as all KwaZulu-Natal cases are postponed due to covid. The new date for the next court session is the 8th of March.

https://www.timeslive.co.za/news/south- ... t-on-hold/
Asclepiomaniac. Armchair ethnobotanist.
Occasional, eclectic blogger:
http://pattheplants.blogspot.com/
MikeT
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD
Role within the BCSS: Branch Treasurer

Post by MikeT »

Pattock wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:42 pm I like that the South African Police Service badge has a tree aloe. Not so good that they have to put a plea on their website: "Stop killing our police". Amazing that they can spare the time and resources for wildlife crime.
The article Terry has given the link to states, "The Commander of Namakwa Stock Theft and Endangered Species Unit, Captain Karel du Toit ...."
Karel's unit is dealing specifically with crimes like this (along with farm stock theft/rustling). It helps that he has a very good knowledge of succulents.
Details of another success for his unit.
Mike T

Sheffield Branch
BCSS member26525
Ali Baba
BCSS Member
Branch: DERBY
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Ali Baba »

I wonder what kind of a dent is caused to the wild populations by collecting say 4000 conos?