Kleinia cephalophora  Solved

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Terry S.
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa

Kleinia cephalophora  Solved

Post by Terry S. »

Some of you might have read the note on Kleinia galpinii that I provided for the most recent BCSS Enewsletter. Since I wrote that, I have realised that it is almost invariably sold as K. cephalophora in the UK with cultivar names such as ‘Mountain Fire’, ‘Fuji’ or ‘Amke’. They even have PVRs under those names from such wholesale nurseries as Eden Plants in the Netherlands and one wonders whether they are still valid if the species name is wrong?

Anyway for completeness, I thought it worth providing a photo of a real K. cephalophora that was raised from stock originating in the SW Richtersveld, which is a winter-rainfall area. This plant is much slower-growing than galpinii, the specimen in the image being over 10 years old and 30cm tall. Flowers are terminal and should be yellow in colour. However, although it has budded during the last three winters, the flowers have never opened. Based on feedback from others, it is a fairly easy species to kill!
Kleinia cephalophora.jpg